Monday, February 22, 2016

The Miracle on the Track

On Saturday, our family drove a couple of hours to watch Jackson run the 2-mile race at his 1st track meet of the season. His race was the 2nd-to-last race of the day. As he ran, his stride stretched far. He was in the front part of the pack of teenage boys. (As a little reminder, Jackson, by age, should only be in 8th grade, but he was running against varsity runners from all over the state. Seven schools were in attendance.) He had 8 laps to run around the track, and all 7 of us were screaming for him every lap that he came around. As the race continued, several kids started to pass him. We started to worry and screamed louder for him to lengthen his stride, to straighten up his body, and to reach farther with each step!

He finished the race strong allowing only one of his 5 teammates to stay ahead of him. At the end of the race, his coach yelled to us in the stands that he had beaten his previous time! Jackson finally made his way to us and informed us that not only had he ran his fastest 2-mile time, but he had also ran his fastest mile time. Two PR's in one race!!! (PR stands for Personal Record.) Kids don't usually beat their fastest times in their 1st race of the season!

We were so proud of him for running faster than he ever had. As I walked alongside him to the van, Jackson shared this spiritual experience with me:

Since Jackson's race was the last of the day, he had spent the ENTIRE day reading the Old Testament for his seminary class. He said that as he was running the race and feeling like maybe he couldn't keep up his pace, he heard the voice of the Lord speak to him saying, "Jackson, you studied about me all day. I am going to help you."

Both Jackson and I cried as he told me his story. The Holy Ghost fills my soul every time I repeat those words- for they were holy words spoken to my son who knew he was worthy of that help. We knew it was the Lord who helped him run his fastest times of his life. What a beautiful testimony of how the Lord blesses us for our sacrifices. He didn't give Jackson super-human strength. Jackson didn't need to come in first place to know the Lord had helped him. He knew the Lord had strengthened him even before he saw his times… because he heard HIS voice and placed his confidence in that message.

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you… he loves the Lord so very much.

      Delete
    2. Congratulations Jackson and Mills family. Such an Inspiration ♡♡♡♡

      Delete
  2. Love this! Jackson has experienced a true principle, promised by a prophet of God. Here is what President Nelson recently said, " Spend more time—much more time—in places where the Spirit is present. That means more time with friends who are seeking to have the Spirit with them. Spend more time on your knees in prayer, more time in the scriptures, more time in family history work, more time in the temple. I promise you that as you consistently give the Lord a generous portion of your time, He will multiply the remainder." For his complete talk and the amazing one of his wife as well go here: https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/article/worldwide-devotionals/2016/01/becoming-true-millennials?lang=eng Much love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing these talks!! My friend had just told me about them, and I was wanting to find them. I have since studied them with my children. Thank you so much. We miss and love you!!

      Delete
  3. I wish the world had more families like yours in it! Thank you for sharing this experience Rachel. This us a Testament and reflection of who you and Abe are as parents. Love you guys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm so grateful God is accepting my meager efforts and creating HIS MIGHTY miracles. You are a BEAUTIFUL mother. I love you and am grateful for you.

      Delete
  4. To Jackson and his family - I am grateful that you shared this wonderful experience. Bob & I have been trying to make the Sabbath more Holy. He has stopped watching or listening to professional sports. We have spent a lot more time in the scriptures and the commentaries. I feel my testimony grow as I read and ponder. We have a group of white hairs - Ed & Dawn, Linda C., Vickie D. and Penni L. who get together once a week to study together - not only are we learning a lot but our love for each other grows. Congrats on two PR - Bigger congrats for your spiritual growth. We love you all. Bob & Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful you are gathering together to read and study God's word! I am also grateful to hear and to be inspired by your goals. Thank you so much for sharing. We love you too!!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! As you prepare your words, please remember that I am a real person with a real family. Choose your words kindly and lovingly.