Friday, January 17, 2014

Our Big, Happy News!! :-)


Fighting Depression


In all honesty I have been fighting depression a lot this fall.  I had to conquer the beast frequently by dropping to my knees and crying out to my Heavenly Father.  The Lord continued to show HIS hand by providing beautiful answers to so many prayers.  Seeing HIS hand in my life held me together when I was about to crumble completely. It was a real war inside my head!!  Just when I would conquer one battle of disappointment, another battle would present itself.

I felt powerless and without control over the situation.  I will never write the details of how we lost all our money, but our situation was instigated by the unethical practices of another.  That was a hard thing to swallow.  As I struggled through that pain, the thought continued to come into my mind, "It's ok.  Don't be angry.  This is where I wanted you anyway."  I had to remind myself of this over and over again because it felt as if life was being thrown at me instead of me taking the reins.  I felt as if I was hanging on to the tail of a long dragon, and the dragon was whipping me from side to side at the whims of his delight.  Sometimes I could even see that dragon in my mind, and I wanted to be set free.

In truth, when you listen to the adversary's influence that all is lost, you are in fact at the tail-end being whipped around.

On days when I wanted to crumble and go hide in a corner, I mustered up the courage to smile, to be joyful, and to try to make a difference.  My scriptures, deep love from my family, and many, many prayers were my iron rod.  I knew I could not let go of that iron rod that was guiding me through the very real mists of darkness trying to attack my brain!  I KNEW I was under attack, and I KNEW that I would push my way through it… but when???  In Elder Holland's October 2013 General Conference talk, "Like a Broken Vessel," he spoke about depression:

" At one point in our married life when financial fears collided with staggering fatigue, I took a psychic blow that was as unanticipated as it was real. With the grace of God and the love of my family, I kept functioning and kept working, but even after all these years I continue to feel a deep sympathy for others more chronically or more deeply afflicted with such gloom than I was. In any case we have all taken courage from those who, in the words of the Prophet Joseph, “search[ed] … and contemplate[d] the darkest abyss” 3and persevered through it—not the least of whom were Abraham Lincoln, Winston Churchill, and Elder George Albert Smith, the latter being one of the most gentle and Christlike men of our dispensation, who battled recurring depression for some years before later becoming the universally beloved eighth prophet and President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

I have been tempted to believe it was a sign of weakness when depressing thoughts threatened to dominate my mind.  But when I pushed through those depressing thoughts with scriptures in hand, I felt stronger than ever before.  Each day was a strengthening moment when I decided to turn to the scriptures instead of wallowing in my disappointments and fears about our future.

I know that so many of you prayed for us, and I sob right now thinking about your beautiful hearts…taking the time to remember our little family in your prayers.  We were not starving.  We were not without shelter.  I just had a broken heart that was struggling to let go of things the way I wanted them to be.  The hard part was that I did not have unrighteous desires.  I wanted to have a home and money so we could have the means to touch other's lives.  Being molded in HIS hands, I learned how to help others the way God wanted me to.  It was God's ways… not mine.  God's ways have brought many miracles to our little neighborhood and to our ward and to our family.

A Push from God


In mid-December, I felt a very strong push in my heart and mind that it was time to change our situation, so I went full force trying to find our miracle.

My mother sent me a check with literal strings taped to it. Her instructions were that the check was not a gift.  It was only to be used to put a deposit down on a house.  (My mother is the greatest teacher the world has ever known!! - really!!)



I spent weeks searching for 2 bedroom homes.  I planned on stuffing all 6 children into one room, and Abe and I would be in another room.  I made inquiries on homes like this until a realtor finally told me that Florida law states that we had to have 4 bedrooms because of how many children we have.  I was slightly relieved because then I didn't feel greedy or guilty for looking for homes that were bigger and more desirable…it was the law!  

Once we started looking for 4-bedroom homes, we were looking at spending quite a bit more money unless we wanted to live in a very scary neighborhood.  We did find a couple of homes in a city about 45 minutes away.  The realtor sent the papers of our favorite home to my email.  Right when I was about to sign the papers, our friend rang the doorbell.  He was visiting from Tennessee!  I sent the realtor a text message saying we would have to wait until the morning to sign the papers.  

We spent several hours chatting with our friend.  Late that night, I went to print off the documents from my email, but I felt a very strong hesitation… I couldn't sign the papers.  We were waiting to hear about a possible job opportunity in Utah.  I thought maybe we needed to wait to hear back about that job.  We told the realtor that we would give him our decision by Friday.  By the following afternoon, somebody else had already snatched the home.  

Now what?!?  I honestly cannot count how many hours I spent investigating homes online… looking at schools, neighborhoods, proximity to Walmart and the church… nothing felt right.  The more we were willing to spend on a home, the more picky I became with the type and location of home we would be renting.  I was scared to look at nicer homes because I didn't want to be foolishly looking above our means.

Abe and I went to visit several homes.  Lots of them had lakes in the backyard, and I knew that would be a very serious hazard for our little Jayden.  Several had no yards; and with 6 children being home-schooled, I knew we needed space for them to run outside.  Several of the homes required too much money upfront.  Others required verification of our income which was difficult to prove with all of our side jobs… balloons, singing, piano, internet ventures etc. I began to lose hope, and I began to feel foolish for even thinking we could do this already… yet I was so desperate to have a home again, and I felt the push from God.

Becoming of One Heart Again


Throughout this struggle, I began to resent Abe for not providing us a home.  Through prayer and true miracles, both of our hearts softened.  I understood more of his pain, and he more fully understood mine.  A greater level of peace within our hearts was restored.  We were no longer in survival mode in our marriage.  We were fully appreciating our differences and fully validating and understanding each other's concerns.  That was an important step in order for the Lord's great miracles to be realized in our lives.  

A couple of days ago I read in 4th Nephi in the Book of Mormon.  The people were feeling complete peace and oneness in the land.  Because of that peace 4 Nephi 1:5 says, "And there were great and marvelous works wrought by the disciples of Jesus… and all manner of miracles did they work among the children of men; and in nothing did they work miracles save it were in the name of Jesus."

Finding a Home… Would it Work?


Feeling greater hope and peace in our marriage, we decided to look once again for a home.  This time when I went on one of the rental websites, Daytona Beach popped up.  I kept rewriting the website so that Orlando would pop up instead.  Twice I returned to the computer and Daytona Beach popped up again.  Daytona Beach was over an hour away.  We had been looking in a 45 mile radius from Orlando feeling no peace about anything we found.  Just for fun, I decided to check what was in the area KNOWING that's not where we would end up.  

Shocked, I saw a BEAUTIFUL house with 5 bedrooms that was at a great price.  (I secretly wanted 5 bedrooms for "other" reasons that I knew Abe wasn't ready to consider yet.)  We also saw another BEAUTIFUL house with 4 bedrooms.  Both homes were well-maintained in clean and safe neighborhoods.  Both were in a city north of Daytona Beach.  This would be at least an hour and a half drive away from our in-law's home where we had been staying.  

They were both literally a block away from the ocean on one side and a block and a half away from a beautiful river and wildlife preserve on the other side.  Beautiful hikes through the woods bordered this river.  

It seemed too good to be true.  My heart and soul are connected to nature and water.  It would be my ultimate dream!!  It could never happen…  How could it?  How could things be going my way?  I felt like I had complained too much and didn't deserve to have what I really wanted.  

Visiting the Home


Abe and I decided we had to visit the homes just to mark them off our lists.  I was concerned about wasting gas on the hour and a half drive merely to check something off our list.  Abe insisted it would make us feel better to check it out.  I called the realtors of both homes to find out more information.  The realtor of the home I loved the most had just moved to Florida from Michigan!  She was so sweet and so wonderful- I felt connected to her immediately.  We chatted about our Michigan memories, and I scheduled a viewing for the next day- which was last Friday.  I also scheduled a viewing of the other home with 4 bedrooms.

That night I felt scared.  

Several thoughts ran through my mind:  How in the world could we ever afford this home?  Is this foolish?  Is God going to help us to make ends meet?  Is this what God wants?  I want it so badly- am I forcing this to happen?

I let go of all my worries and lay in bed peacefully thinking….

All of a sudden a very clear proposal came to my mind of a plan that would give us time to make the payments.  I felt in my heart that I would need to ask the realtor of both beautiful homes if they would accept this plan.  I told Abe about the plan that came into my mind, and I told him it felt like it came from God.  At first he had a hard time following what I was even explaining.  Then he raised his eyebrows doubting either one would accept such an offer.  I told him that God gave it to me, so I had a good feeling about it.

The moment we entered the city of our destination, my heart began to pound very heavily in my chest.  I wanted to squeal with excitement.  I told Abe I couldn't be trusted with my emotions.  This was my dream spot, and I wouldn't be able to differentiate between my heart and the Holy Ghost.

Then the thought came to me:  "What if the Holy Ghost put these desires into my heart? What if God is so great at orchestrating our lives that HE is using our desires to place us where HE wants us to fulfill HIS purposes."

I continued to ponder as we viewed both homes. I asked both realtors about the proposal I had received during the night.

Just as I assumed, the realtor of the 4 bedroom home wouldn't do it.  HOWEVER, the realtor of the home I really loved the most understood my proposal and accepted it without even thinking twice about it.  That was my answer!  I knew we could do it… somehow!!  I even committed to tying balloons in the streets to make it work.  It just felt right.  

Violin Miracles!!  Truly, Truly Beautiful People


On Tuesday before seeing this home on-line, I decided to ask my children's violin teacher what my children would have to do if we lived out of the school district.  Sadly she said Jordan would have to give his violin back, but Mariah could keep hers… then she hesitated… she said Mariah could keep hers because she had been paying for Mariah's rental fee for her!!  I burst into tears.  I had no idea!  I thought Mariah was borrowing hers from the school district just like Jordan.  I'm certain this absolutely amazing woman watched Mariah carry her tiny violin with her into class several times a week feeling grateful in her heart that Mariah was having the opportunity to learn.  Oh I just couldn't even stop crying.  I still can't!!  Her heart is beyond beautiful!! In fact, every time I see her I cry again.

I went to scouts that night with emotions very close to the surface.  When I arrived, a sister walked up to me and handed me ANOTHER violin.  She said that she and her daughter had held a Family Home Evening the night before to decide who should receive her violin which was now too small for her daughter.  They both decided that our family should have it.  She had NO IDEA that we would possibly be giving up our violins to move away.  She had NO IDEA that I had just been talking to this other sister about the violins that very day.  She heard a prompting and followed it!!  I cried so hard when she gave us the violin.  We both cried and hugged.  The gift of music is indescribable.  It's a gift of opportunity and of richness.  She was in a hurry to get home, so I still haven't had the opportunity to tell her how significant her gift is.  How significant it is that the very day I realized that we might have to give up the violins, was the very day we would be offered one to have permanently.

It felt as if all would be well if we had to move further away than we planned, but both Abe and I still worried about his job…

The Job


I wrote in a previous blog about a very intense fast I performed a few weeks ago.  I wrote about the strong impressions I received to move forward with finding a home after having that fast.  Shortly after that blog post, Abe was laid off from his job indefinitely, Abe's car broke down, and on Sunday baby Jayden had to go to the emergency room for stitches.

Ummmm…. that was NOT what I expected… laid off?  No car?  Hospital bills?  We had lots of side incomes, and granted… this job wasn't providing a good income, but we were grateful for every dollar.

I wrote in my blog about how strengthened I felt from my fast, but I assumed that nothing else came from my fast at that particular time.  Well… that's just because I didn't recognize it!!

On the very day that I devoted my fast to finding a new house, Abe was doing an interview and was hired!  He even told me (very casually) that he was hired.  Since it was only commission-based and he had been "hired" by several companies this fall which were only commission-based, I dismissed this job in my mind along with the others.

It took about a week of hearing Abe talk about upcoming shows and training for his job that it hit me. Wait a minute!  Abe!  You got a real job- and you got it the same day of my fast!!  I was beginning to realize that being laid off from his other job allowed Abe to search for and find a job with greater opportunity.  

Signing the Papers & Miraculous Details


We recognized that God was definitely guiding us.  On Monday, we decided to take a huge and seemingly foolish step into the dark.  We filled out the application for the home and mailed the application fee.    Next, we requested the lease.  It took a couple of days for them to write up the lease under the terms we had requested.  We signed it, and the realtor signed it today (Thursday)!!  Move-in date is this coming Tuesday!!!  Yikes!!!  We are so excited!!  We feel so good about it… but we also know there is so much for us to do to make it work.  

Abe worked his first official day on Tuesday of this week.  We were praying so hard to know if this job would be the one to get us through this transition.  As of Thursday, he was the top salesman for the past two days at the show!  You don't know the joy in my heart to know that he is excelling!!   We are all praising God. 

Abe and I united ourselves once again to promise to work together on our other business ventures. 

This very week when we are moving forward on complete faith, an unexpected check was deposited into our bank from a concert Abe did a couple of months ago.  I believe it is not a coincidence that we received that check on the very week that we signed the papers on a house.

In the beginning of December, a lady, who is now a friend of mine, approached me about hosting business shows at big conventions.  It pays very well, and I hoped to be called.  Just a couple of days ago Abe's dad asked me if I had been contacted about hosting any business shows.  I told him no.  I thought those opportunities for money were gone.  

Once we sent in our application on the home, I received two potential hosting jobs!!  Are you kidding? Once again, I believe the timing is crucial because it's as if God saw us apply our faith and then opened the windows of blessings to reassure our worried hearts that all would be well. 

Missionary Transfer


I have had a deep concern about our sweet neighbors who have been coming to church.  I love them so very much.  I want them to know that my love for them and my desire for them to continue in their quest for truth is of the upmost sincerity.  I have been praying so intently for them.  

Yesterday, one of my sweet readers left a comment on my blog reminding me "these missionaries were called to serve at this time in your area."  It's true!!  There are 4 sets of missionaries serving in our congregation.  Two are teaching one neighbor and two others are teaching another neighbor.  They couldn't be more perfectly called at the right time.

One set of these missionaries is a new set of Spanish-speaking sister missionaries.  I had the honor to give these sisters a ride to their new apartment.  Before I drove them to their new apartment, my children and I attended their huge transfer meeting.  

The chapel was full of missionaries waiting to hear about where they would be serving next.   As I sat in the foyer, I heard a missionary talking over the pulpit about his transfer.  As he spoke, the thought came into my mind, "Your friends are in my hands.  You're just on a missionary transfer."  

I felt so much peace hearing that perspective in my mind.  I didn't feel like I was abandoning my dear friends; God will place others in their path, and we will continue loving them.  When we lived in Utah I had asked God to allow our family to serve a mission somehow.  My prayers have been answered!  Our family is on a missionary transfer. 

Long Story Short Version :-)


*I pushed through months of a hovering temptation to melt into depression.  The ONLY reason I was able to stomp it out each day was because of increased scripture study, messages of strength from my mother, patience from my husband, my children's unwavering faith, and heartfelt prayers from you and by me. 

*Abe is working an unlikely job that came during an intense fast, and he's excelling!!!  Hooray!

*We found our dream house.  It still doesn't seem real because the house is EXACTLY what I've always wanted… We're moving to a 5 bedroom home right between the ocean and the river- both only a block or two away!!!  There are sidewalks for miles and miles, so we can ride our bikes all over the place.  There are trails and national parks all within bike riding distance.

*The miracles of violins, jobs, and friends came when Abe and I fasted, united, and applied our faith.

*God's timing was paramount… When God tells you it's time, IT'S TIME!! My "time" was about 5 months ago, but HE opens the doors to create marvelous miracles when we patiently push through the struggle and wait on HIS timing.

Thank you!!


I can't thank you enough for your prayers- your words of encouragement- your love.  I know that just because we're moving to our beach home (my dream home), does not mean that all our struggles will disappear.  Not so… that's definitely not what was intended for this life.  I do feel I have grown a bit.  More than anything, I have grown in my testimony of Jesus' great, magnificent love for us.  HE is busy orchestrating the details of our lives. 


42 comments:

  1. Oh Rachel! What a beautiful post of major miracles in your life right now! God is so good. When we trust in His timing, amazing things happen- such as a dream home! More than anything, I love this blog for what it teaches your children about faith, prayer, fasting, and following inspiration. You are such a beautiful example to so many!! Continued prayers for you and your family in your new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment and for confirming the message of God's goodness. On the way to church this morning my 12-old son spontaneously decided to fast for my husband's continued success in his job. I thought about what you said and felt grateful he has a testimony of the power of fasting and prayer… If we had never struggled, we would have never been compelled to pray and fast with such fervor. Thank you so much for your continued prayers!! Thank you for sharing so much love.

      Delete
  2. Oh how I love being able to share in your experiences. You bring me hope and you increase my Faith! I am so excited to hear about your new "mission" experiences, and to hear about your adventures in your new home and neighborhood! I hope to be able to share my experiences with you in the near future! Love you Miss Rachel, and I am so thankful to have a friend who helps me be closer to my Heavenly Father and Savior! You are awesome. Love, Nancy Rogers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy… YOU ARE AWESOME!! Thank you for such a sweet and uplifting message. I too feel thankful for your forever friendship. I am praying for your family. You have angels all around you bearing you up as you share HIS word with your family.

      My favorite scripture is in D&C 84:88

      "And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up."

      Delete
  3. WhooHooo!!!! This is such exciting news. I am so happy that everything is working out. There is so much in this entry that is so wonderful: Abe's job, a violin for Jordan, missionary work, a loving mom, friends AND a new home. I just want to dance for joy for you and your cute family but I'm sure you are all doing your own happy dances.

    I'm sorry that life has been so hard for you. I have had moments in my life where I have been weighted down by all that life was offering me but "from the bitter comes the sweet" and a greater appreciation for the blessings that we receive if we endure. What a great testimony to us all to remember that when the trials get really hard, turn to the Lord and rely on his strength. To pray, read our scriptures and serve others is really the best "medicine" to give us the strength we need to get through our own trials. I love this quote from Pres Eyring - If we have faith in Jesus Christ, the hardest as well as the easiest times in life can be a blessing.

    I hope everything continues to go well for your friends taking the missionary lessons. Your move will give the ward members an opportunity to step up and befriend your neighbors and allow your neighbors to see that the church is filled other wonderful people that want to help them just like you do. I know that the missionaries will take good care of them. I was fortunate to meet my missionaries 24 years ago and knew without a doubt that they were sent just for me.

    I hope that the blessings continue to rain down upon you and your family and that you get a "break" from trials for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your message. I can't tell you how many times your words returned to me this weekend as I watched so many church members rush in and offer to be a strength to our sweet neighbors. The church members have wrapped their arms around them and offered beautiful support for when we leave. Just like you said- they are receiving the opportunity to be a bigger part of their lives.

      I would love to hear your conversion story some day… What a pillar of strength you are!! Thank you for your kind, uplifting words. Thank you for your shouts of joy with me. :-) Thank you for your wisdom.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations!!!!! I am so, so happy for your family. Thank you for your examples. Happiest moving!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU!!!! :-) :-) :-) It doesn't quite seem real yet. Most of our belongings are in storage. I've been so excited that I forgot that I still have a big, job ahead of me. (I'll enjoy it though.) God bless you! Thank you so very much for your message.

      Delete
  5. *Applause* Tears literally fell from my eyes to read of both your struggles and your triumphs. You faith is always so inspiring. I needed to read this more than I realized. I am profoundly influenced and changed since I started reading your blog. There are days where it calls to me and I can't get settled until I read it and then there are days where I don't know what to do to focus and I start with your blog to find some inspiration.

    I know that the Lord watches over us, His children, in our time of need and I know that our prayers are answered at all times - often in ways that allow us to see more about who our Father in Heaven desires for us to be. I am impressed with your additude of not giving up and Abe's attitude of keeping his focus and doing whatever it takes to provide for his family, in faith. It's a struggle, oftentimes, to be on the right path and not get discouraged when we get knocked down. Recently, my husband and I have been contemplating a few of the big decisions because things, for me, feel like I need to change the environment for my children. I will use your experience to strengthen my testimony in taking a leap of faith...or in your cases, multiple steps, leaps and bounds of faith.

    Thank you for sharing this wonderful news! Thank you for sharing the difficult pathway it took to get to this wonderful news! Thank you for sharing your heart, testimony, faith and family.

    Can't wait for pics!

    Les quiero mucho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your message. I am greatly humbled to know how these experiences from God have touched your life. Thank you for sharing your heart.

      Thank you also for your testimony and words of great depth. Several times I reread your sentence, "I know that our prayers are answered at all times - often in ways that allow us to see more about who our Father in Heaven desires for us to be."

      You words made me ponder: I wonder what more Heavenly Father sees in me… what more does HE see in my children?

      Your words made me want to reach deeper.

      Gracias por tu amor mi querida amiga. Tu sabes que yo quiero darte un fuerte abrazo!!!

      Delete
  6. WOW!!! I don't have words to express how this makes me feel! So very happy for you and inspired by your words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I love you! Thank you so much for reading and for sharing our joy. God bless your sweet family and your beautiful missionary daughter.

      Delete
  7. Rachel, thanks for sharing such personal experiences. I admire you and Abe and am glad to hear things are going so well thanks to your prayers and faithfulness. Congrats on the dream house. Please let us know if you guys ever visit Utah. You can always stay with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Davis!! Thank you so much. I have LOVED following all the amazing things you are doing in your life… and yet I still envision you as a young missionary in Sucre. :-) Thank you so much for the invite! I would LOVE to meet the rest of your beautiful family in person!! Our doors are definitely open to you and your family as well.

      Delete
  8. Great story! Thanks for sharing your testimony! It just confirms to me how God watches over and cares for each of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I too am strengthened hearing others' experiences confirming those simple truths of God's love. Thank you so much for your comment!! I love you and miss you!

      Delete
  9. Rachel!!!!! I am SOOOOO HAPPY for all of this wonderfullness. I am so glad that the really big struggles are winding down and you get a break. I am so excited you get your dream house with all of the wonderful outdoor activity for you guys. You are such an amazing, giving, kind family and you deserve every inkling of this goodness. We love you guys and miss you so much. Some day I want to come visit you in your dream house!!! Miss you! -Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think about you sooo much my dear friend! Your sincere friendship makes my heart happy, and I am blessed to have you in my life forever. I'm envisioning you in my home now…. Please come! I love you and miss you. Thank you for your very sweet message.

      Delete
  10. Rachel, you inspire me! I am so grateful for the miracle of getting to know you and your sweet family in Nauvoo. What great faith you have in a loving Heavenly Father! He does hear you and answer prayers. Thank you for teaching me so often. I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I agree. God definitely had HIS hand in our meeting. I have learned so much from YOU!! Your generosity of time, energy, and love inspired all of us to want to give more and be more aware of others' needs. Thank you for your friendship!! I love you too.

      Delete
  11. OH! you guys are such a sweet example to all... I love you story and I thank you for sharing it with us... We are so happy for you and Abe! I am so excited for you guys! we sure do miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your message Amy! Oh my goodness- we miss you too! Someday we'll fulfill another one of our dreams and go on a trip to visit you in Alaska. :-) God bless you.

      Delete
  12. Rachel--
    Thanks so much for this post. You guys have always been such an inspiration and I'm grateful for the reminder that the Lord answers prayers in the timing and way that is usually far better than we might have imagined. Good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie, it is so wonderful to hear from you!! It's been such a long time. I hope all is well with you and your wonderfully giving family. I agree full-heartedly… the Lord's ways ARE "usually FAR better that we might have imagined." Thank you again! I love you!!

      Delete
  13. Thank you for this story. I pray that I will be writing the same type of blog post too. I have lived with the motto "My plan isn't always the Lord's plan" for the last year. Thank you again for your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE your motto!! Although I forget at times, HIS plan ALWAYS proves to be one of perfection. God bless you in your journey… :-) Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  14. Rachel -- Your faith is overwhelming. It is no wonder why the Lord blesses you and your family. You are such a great example to me. Your words about the missionaries brought me back to my mission many years ago and made me want to bring my spirit back to what it was. You touched my heart more than you know. All the best with your move. You are where the Lord wants you to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your words!! I read your comment on my cell phone earlier today as I carried boxes into our new home, and it was a beautiful added comfort to be reminded that we are indeed where the Lord wants us to be. Thank you! :-)

      Like you, I love the missionary spirit. I love to be around the missionaries because I get to see the light in their eager eyes… it's the beautiful light of Christ. :-)

      Delete
  15. We love the Mills family! Life is not easy! But you are living so well! You've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, thank you for your love!! That's the best gift ever. Your love inspires me. ~Sending you so much love in return. :-)

      Delete
  16. Nice story Rachel. Glad to see things are coming together in Florida. Best, Shawn Quigley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawn!!! It's so great to hear from you. We love you and your family so much. You're in our hearts forever. :-)

      Delete
  17. Thanks For Sharing Your story. Having Faith Is Difficult Amongst Over Bearing Challenges. WhenItSeems We Have BeenThere DoneThis Before, Why Are We D back Here Again.... I've BeenThere, And Hind Sight Vision Allows Me To See That I Did Not Utilize The BFaith In My Father In Heaven, That I Thought I Had. I Didn'tReach Deeper...Hence, We Carried A Burden Alone, That We Did Not Need To Carry! Depression Does Set In. The Only Way To Get Thru Is To Recognize We Are Not Alone!
    Thanks Again For Sharing, I RealizeI Am Only Acquainted With You, More Abe, But I LOveThat We Can Be Strengthened Thru One Another. ThankYou! And God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your words. As you said, it does not matter that we do not know each other well… the Spirit acquaints us rapidly when we are following God's direction. :-) I can feel that you have a deep understanding of the pains and joys of life. I also feel your testimony of our Heavenly Father's profound love for us. Thank you for your words of faith.

      Delete
  18. Rachel,
    I don't know if you remember me and my family but you came to my home years ago in Rigby, ID when Jericho Road had a fireside in Rexburg with Justin Smith. (We grew up together in Parma, ID). Anyway, my husband Marcus and I just read this post (crying the whole time) and I can't tell you how much we can relate and truly understand everything that you have gone through. Marcus just keeps commenting on how much of a connection he felt with Abe when you guys were here. I think they are friends on facebook but it would be so great to reconnect in some way again. I think you guys are amazing and I appreciated you sharing your story. Love, Jessica and Marcus Golder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to reconnect, and thank you for taking care of us so many years ago! :-) I am touched by your words. I would love to be your Facebook friend as well and catch up after so many years. We would also love to return the favor and welcome you into our home as well…. down here in Florida :-) Keep in touch! Thank you for your message.

      Delete
  19. Dear Rachel,
    Your story is beautiful. My husband and I met your husband on an airplane last May. I cannot tell you how many times a FB post or a quick peek at your blog or a random thought about your family has touched my heart.
    You and your family are wonderful testimonies to "trust in God" and joyfully persevering with grace.
    God bless you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You met my husband on an airplane? It's so wonderful how God places us in each other's lives! I wish I could meet you as well. Thank you for your kind words. I am ashamed when I don't fully trust in God because HE always- very patiently and lovingly- gives me every reason to trust HIM. God bless you as well. Thank you so much for your message.

      Delete
  20. Hurrah!!! God is the perfect architect. My wife and I continue to learn that he is in all of the details of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfectly said!! Amen!!! Thank you so much for your comment.

      Delete
  21. Rachel, Thank you for sharing the ups and down and everything in between. You have taught me to look for the miracles in every day life and to trust God's plan. He is in charge and the sees the "big picture". You deserve the best and God will make sure you have it! Love and blessings to you and your sweet family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I share the downs as well, so I can see how God gets me to the ups. I share it because I want others to know that if Jesus can work in and through me despite all my weaknesses, maybe others will know and recognize that HE is working in and through ALL of our lives. Thank you so much for your love!!! I look forward to meeting you next month!! Hooray! :-) Thank you for all the service you are doing!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! As you prepare your words, please remember that I am a real person with a real family. Choose your words kindly and lovingly.