Monday, April 28, 2014

I AM NOT ASHAMED!

On my way out to Utah, I had a layover in Denver, Colorado for over 4 hours.  My phone was dying, so I found an outlet for my charger on a pillar that was right on the edge of the main walkway where people where walking back and forth on their way to their gates. I sat down and leaned against the pillar.  I decided that this would be a good time to also read my scriptures.

I didn't want to seem like I was sitting in the walkway with my scriptures trying to get attention, so I covered the top of my scriptures with my jacket as I read.  I wanted to keep my reading a little bit more private.  After reading for a few moments, the thought came very strongly into my mind, "Rachel, why are you hiding your scriptures?"  

I realized what I was doing and felt guilty.  For goodness sakes!  I wasn't ashamed of what I was reading, and I didn't care if people judged my intentions!  I pulled them out from behind my jacket, placed them on top of my jacket and continued to read. 

As I read, I said a prayer in my heart asking God to open the way if there was someone with whom I needed to speak.

I happened to look up as a modern-looking lady with spiky hair walked by.  She looked at me strangely  and kind of tilted her head back as if to say to herself, "What is SHE doing?"

A few minutes later, that same woman returned and stopped right in front of me.  She spoke slowly and with hesitation:  "Excuse me… are… are you reading your SCRIPTURES?"

I nodded and quietly told her that I was.  Boisterously, she exclaimed how wonderful it was that I was reading… that  so many people don't read anymore… and that she believed in the word of God.  She then said, "Tell me what verses you're reading!"  

My prayer I had offered only moments before asking God to "open the way" returned clearly into my mind, and I was in so much shock that God had answered that prayer so quickly that I was at a loss as to what to say.  

I soon discovered that my words were not important… just the action of reading God's word is what touched her heart.

I told her I had been reading in the book of John and that I had cross-referenced some scriptures in Matthew.  I told her I had 6 children and explained to her that reading my scriptures on a daily basis is what maintains my peace every day.  She then told me about her son whom she had been trying to help return to God.  We spoke for just a moment longer, and then she left with a big smile.

Our conversation was short, but it was AMAZING!!  It was amazing to see that God is so aware of the littlest details of our days and of our prayers.  If HE is answering my small prayers so quickly, I know for a fact that HE is aware of the BIG, pleading prayers throughout my life and YOURS- even when things don't seem to be going just right- I have confidence that God is working on a grander, more marvelous plan. 

I believe that if we are willing, the Holy Ghost will guide our every action so that we may be an instrument in the Lord's Hands.  

“For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth” (Romans 1:16).

The rest of my trip to Utah continued to be AMAZING!!  I continued to see God's hand in the details as HE placed wonderful people and experiences in my path.  I will be writing those experiences over the next few days…

God loves us and every detail of our lives.