Monday, April 28, 2014

I AM NOT ASHAMED!

On my way out to Utah, I had a layover in Denver, Colorado for over 4 hours.  My phone was dying, so I found an outlet for my charger on a pillar that was right on the edge of the main walkway where people where walking back and forth on their way to their gates. I sat down and leaned against the pillar.  I decided that this would be a good time to also read my scriptures.

I didn't want to seem like I was sitting in the walkway with my scriptures trying to get attention, so I covered the top of my scriptures with my jacket as I read.  I wanted to keep my reading a little bit more private.  After reading for a few moments, the thought came very strongly into my mind, "Rachel, why are you hiding your scriptures?"  

I realized what I was doing and felt guilty.  For goodness sakes!  I wasn't ashamed of what I was reading, and I didn't care if people judged my intentions!  I pulled them out from behind my jacket, placed them on top of my jacket and continued to read. 

As I read, I said a prayer in my heart asking God to open the way if there was someone with whom I needed to speak.

I happened to look up as a modern-looking lady with spiky hair walked by.  She looked at me strangely  and kind of tilted her head back as if to say to herself, "What is SHE doing?"

A few minutes later, that same woman returned and stopped right in front of me.  She spoke slowly and with hesitation:  "Excuse me… are… are you reading your SCRIPTURES?"

I nodded and quietly told her that I was.  Boisterously, she exclaimed how wonderful it was that I was reading… that  so many people don't read anymore… and that she believed in the word of God.  She then said, "Tell me what verses you're reading!"  

My prayer I had offered only moments before asking God to "open the way" returned clearly into my mind, and I was in so much shock that God had answered that prayer so quickly that I was at a loss as to what to say.  

I soon discovered that my words were not important… just the action of reading God's word is what touched her heart.

I told her I had been reading in the book of John and that I had cross-referenced some scriptures in Matthew.  I told her I had 6 children and explained to her that reading my scriptures on a daily basis is what maintains my peace every day.  She then told me about her son whom she had been trying to help return to God.  We spoke for just a moment longer, and then she left with a big smile.

Our conversation was short, but it was AMAZING!!  It was amazing to see that God is so aware of the littlest details of our days and of our prayers.  If HE is answering my small prayers so quickly, I know for a fact that HE is aware of the BIG, pleading prayers throughout my life and YOURS- even when things don't seem to be going just right- I have confidence that God is working on a grander, more marvelous plan. 

I believe that if we are willing, the Holy Ghost will guide our every action so that we may be an instrument in the Lord's Hands.  

“For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth” (Romans 1:16).

The rest of my trip to Utah continued to be AMAZING!!  I continued to see God's hand in the details as HE placed wonderful people and experiences in my path.  I will be writing those experiences over the next few days…

God loves us and every detail of our lives.



11 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this sweet, powerful experience. You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU!! I have been inspired by you from the first time we spoke. Please give your cute seminary kids a hug from me. :-) xoxoxo

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful experience! Isn't it great that Heavenly Father knew exactly where you needed to charge your phone? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true!! I appreciate your perspective. I was thinking about how God answered my prayer by allowing me to be an instrument in HIS hands, but I'm sure God was directing me to that location even before I said that prayer! It is always amazing to me to see how Heavenly Father is intertwining and blessing all of our lives at the same time. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful testimony of Christ and your love for HIM. I have felt especially close to my Savior this Easter season. I am STILL reading the Easter verses to my children every morning. I can't bring myself to put away the Easter decorations yet either. I just told my children that this is my favorite holiday… it's filled with so much HOPE!!

      Thank you so much for the link to the song by the Newsboys. I had never heard that song before. It was absolutely perfect!!! I just recently watched the movie, "God's Not Dead." (The Newsboys were featured in it.) It was WONDERFUL!! I cried all the way through it. Have you seen it?

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Hi Cristee! I wish I could show you this entire book that my mother made!! It is 80 pages of pictures, scriptures, and quotes pertaining to the events of Jesus Christ's final week. She also has a simplified poster version covering every major event from the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. I think my mother gave me the book about 6 years ago. It was the long hours of reading those scriptural accounts from each of the gospels to the children that gave all of us a deeper love for our Savior, Jesus Christ.

      You asked me my favorite scripture from the Easter season… It's in John 20:11-17

      11 But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre,

      12 And seeth two aangels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.

      13 And they say unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? She saith unto them, Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him.

      14 And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus.

      15 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away.

      16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.

      17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

      Every time I read this passage, I imagine what it would be like to hear Jesus Christ calling me by name. Oh the love and enveloping compassion that I would feel… just as Mary did… merely by hearing HIM call my name. I know someday I will see my Savior, Jesus Christ and my Heavenly Father… who is also Jesus' Father to whom HE ascended… and I will fall down at their feet and worship them.

      You asked me the significance of the Cross and Christ's Resurrection in my life. Wow!! I honestly can't even begin to write what I feel about HIS sacrifice for me in the Garden of Gethsemane and on the Cross. It is because of Jesus' sacrifice that I am forgiven for my sins… and I NEED HIS Grace on a daily basis. What a glorious feeling to know that HE lives!! And because HE lives, we all have the opportunity to live with HIM and our families after this life. Jesus Christ's sacrifice represents HOPE and indescribably LOVE to me.

      We live near a gorgeous forest that looks like a jungle. We usually go home alongside the beach, but the first time we drove home through the forest at nighttime, my children and I were in awe when we saw a beautiful cross lit up in the middle of the forest. What did that mean to me? That meant that there was a wonderful person who loves Jesus Christ, and that person had the courage to offer a reminder of Jesus Christ's HOPE and LOVE for all who passed by. My children and I certainly felt that HOPE and LOVE in our hearts.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cristee! I went to reply to your most recent questions and found you had deleted your comments. I'm not sure why. You shared a beautiful testimony of your love for Jesus Christ, and I'm sorry you deleted them. Take care and God bless you.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! As you prepare your words, please remember that I am a real person with a real family. Choose your words kindly and lovingly.