Tuesday, January 22, 2013

My Unlikely Miracle at the Local Christian Store

Before I tell what happened at the store, I need to preface with what happened a few weeks ago.

It was Sunday, and Abe and I were finally relaxing when we got a phone call at 8:30pm from some missionaries.  They were asking us if we would help some strangers move in from a city an hour away...that night...around 10pm.  The missionaries knew hardly anything about them- just that they were outside packing their moving van and were in need, so they knew just the person to call... Abe.  

Abe called the man whose family was moving and convinced him to wait to unpack the moving van until the next morning, so that Abe would have time to get him more help.  The family could only do that if they could get someone to drive him back to their old home that night to get their baby and their other vehicle.  Abe arranged for several men and a bunch of missionaries to help the next morning, and then he offered to drive this stranger back to their old home that night.  

Abe drove this man he knew nothing about and would probably never see again an hour each way.  Abe arrived back at home at 2am and left for work the next morning by 5:30am.  He never once complained but served because that is what Jesus wanted him to do.

Now to tonight...  My 3 older boys (11, 9, & 7) ran a half-marathon (13.1 miles) a few months prior, in October, and I had promised that I would buy them each something special for their great accomplishment.  Tyson wanted to look for his gift at the Christian book store.  He chose something really special with a beautiful message about being strong for Jesus Christ.  

On our way to the check-out I noticed a pamphlet for sale.  It was an anti-mormon pamphlet teaching people how to stand up to the Mormons and why the teachings are so flawed.  Our family is Mormon- the correct name of our church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  I was immediately upset.

I went right up to the front desk and asked them why they had this pamphlet at their store.  I told them that tearing apart another religion does not show any bit of the Christianity that they are pretending to uphold.  I asked them if they had any other material against any other church.  They said that they did about the Jehovah Witnesses because they are considered a cult by the Christian community and with their Review Board.  I said, "Are we considered a cult to you?"  She said, "Well I'm not supposed to tell you my personal religious beliefs."  I then realized that this store did not want Mormons there; they thought we were a cult. 

I told them that there was a huge, gorgeous picture of Jesus Christ at the back of the store, and it is done by a Mormon.  They said, "Which one?"  I said, "I'm not going to tell you because you will just take it down.  We don't talk bad about your churches; we teach of Jesus Christ. Do you know the real name of our church?"  One worker said, "Yes... latter day saints?"  I said, "You missed it.  You missed the most important part."  Then she said, "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints."

There were no customers there, only two workers.  

I asked them both to come together because what I had to say was very important, and I wanted them both to hear it.  

I then began to shake and spoke with power from on high.  To the best of my knowledge, this is what I said with tears streaming down my face, 

"Because I will never be shopping here again, I need to speak to you both to tell you exactly what I do believe.  I need you to know of my testimony of Jesus Christ.  Jesus Christ is my Savior.   I love HIM dearly.  HE is the same Jesus Christ that you worship.  HE died on the cross for us and even more HE suffered for all of our sins at the Garden of Gethsemane.  I want you to never forget what I am telling you because I want you to share this experience with all those you come in contact with that are speaking of my religion.  You have the opportunity to clarify with them that we believe in Jesus Christ.  I love HIM with all my heart, and I want everyone to know that HE is the center of our lives.  We have a picture of Jesus Christ in every one of our rooms... the kitchen, family room, and all of our bedrooms.  We came here to your store because it was a safe place to find uplifting messages about our Savior, and we are so hurt that you would sell things that tear us down.  There is no need for this here.  Please remember and know that we believe in Jesus Christ.  When people question my faith in Jesus Christ, it hurts me deeply."

Tyson was standing by my side, and he too shared his testimony of Jesus's sacrifice and his testimony of our church.  

The manager, with the most sincere look on her face said, "Thank you so much for sharing what you feel.  You spoke with a fire and conviction within that I just don't see... thank you."  She encouraged us to write to the corporate office to help make changes.  

Then, the worker that made the comment about the cults, with a softened heart said, "Well, when we moved here, nobody-not even from our church- came to help us, but a bunch of Mormons showed up."  I then told her about my husband helping a family move when nobody came to help.  I shared how he did it just because even though he was tired, he knew that's what Jesus would want him to do.  

The worker looked at me strangely and said, "Is your husband a missionary?"  I said, "No."  A little hesitant, she said, "Is he black and a singer?"  I said, "Yes!"  Then she said, "We are the family your husband helped that night."  She proceeded to tell me the whole story of how they were praying that he would continue to wait for them at their house as they were running almost an hour late, and that they were so grateful for his service.  She came around the counter and gave me the biggest hug.

Can you believe the miracles?  Out of the thousands of people in Kalamazoo, I would have the opportunity to bear testimony to the same family that my husband had recently served.  I would have the opportunity to bear testimony so strong that the Spirit confirmed to the ladies working that night that there was a fire with which I spoke.  I would have the opportunity to proclaim my love for my Savior so strong that it weakens me still at this moment.

The other miracle... my sweet son Tyson... As we walked out of the store, he began to cry because he couldn't believe people thought that we were a cult-that people who sold such beautiful things of Christ could think such negative things about us.  I told him that God had given him a gift tonight.  God allowed Tyson to bear testimony so that he could be strengthened within.  God is preparing this young man to be stalwart in HIS Kingdom.



41 comments:

  1. HI Rachel! You don't know me but I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your spirit and testimony. I love hearing miracles like these. We recently spent 4yrs in the South after being born and raised in AZ all my life. I'd never been told that I was part of a cult that didn't believe in Jesus Christ until we lived in Mississippi. It's insanity to me that people could so quickly pass such judgements based on something they heard and not finding out for themselves. It was very hurtful but also confirmed to me that we are indeed in the last days. HIS gospel is under attack and it's only going to get worse. I'm grateful to be LDS and cannot imagine my life without the blessings and truths found within it. Thanks again for sharing this! Hugs from AZ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Shanna for sharing your experience and your testimony. We are all so strengthened by each other. Hugs to you too!:)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for taking the time to share a message which I think is so vital; one I have concerned about in Christian stores. I love you and your family and your great example. Joan Christiansen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joan!! It breaks my heart because there are so many beautiful things in those stores as well.

      Delete
  3. Rachel, you and Abe are such amazing people. It doesn't surprise me a bit that you were open to be the Lords mouthpiece and servant. And it also doesn't surprise me that Tyson would also open up and share his testimony. The Spirit touched me very strongly in reading this story. Truly Amazing!

    Love
    Roger Atkin
    your Nauvoo housemate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Roger for taking the time to read and give your thoughts. I will pass this on to Tyson, and I know it will be a strength to him.

      Delete
  4. Amazing! What a great reminder that God works miracles through those who are willing to be used! Thank you for your example. It is truly inspirational...

    Carey Jensen Bailey
    an old high school friend to Abe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Carey; God orchestrates the most beautiful miracles in our lives. I pray often that I can be humble enough to let HIM do what HE wants with my life. It's not always easy:) Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful beautiful testimony! I hope you don't mind me sharing this with my children during our family home evening! And I am happy to have found your blog too. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim. I'm very new to blogging, so I didn't tell anyone where it was until tonight:) Thank you for taking the time to read and for sharing it with your family. Love you too!

      Delete
    2. Blogging.. I love it. I just got my computer fixed so I will be back at it. Plus, I love being able to keep up with you and all your little ones! Thanks again for sharing.

      Delete
  6. Who will stands for truth and righteousness??? YOU will stand for truth and righteousness!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! We will stand together with God's help!:)

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad Abe shared this blog post with me on facebook. I feel so uplifted and grateful. Thank you for being such a willing example of one who has unfailing faith in Christ. Please give Abe a hug for giving such great service, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment. I will give Abe that special hug!:)

      Delete
  8. I had something similar happen to me too. I work at Chick-fil-a in St Joseph, Missouri, and one day a customer heard me talking to other customers about being a Mormon. This customer got very angry. I'm a manager there, and as she was leaving I asked if everything was alright for them that day. She said something about that she did not know Chick-fil-a hired people who are not Christian!! I tried to tell her that the name of our Church is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, but she said, "Well, you don't believe in Jesus Christ". I told her I absolutely believe in and am so grateful for Jesus Christ. She said, "Well, you don't believe he is the son of God!" I told her I do believe He is the son of God and that he came to Earth to WILLINGLY suffer and ultimately die for our sins." She said she would never eat at our restaurant again. I couldn't keep talking to her as we were very busy at the time and I was in charge of getting orders out, but she kept trying to tell me what I believe and I just told her I hoped she had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your experience- some people only hear what they want to hear. I understand your frustration!!! I feel like these experiences are given to us as a gift to instill in us a greater appreciation for those that listen with open ears and open hearts and also to bless us with a stronger testimony of those things we know to be true.

      Delete
  9. Rachel, I am so glad you shared this. I am so glad that you let others share this so we could read it. Your family is amazing. I am Natalie's cousin in MS and we are used to hearing that we are a cult. Some people's mind you can change, but others you can not. The only thing we can do is share our testimony of Christ and LIVE a Christ like life. That is how my friends know that I indeed love my Savior. Miracles do happen and you were in the place you should have been. Thank you for standing for truth and righteousness.
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gina for living your life in a way that honors our Savior. God bless you!! You're Natalie's cousin? We must be cousins too:)

      Delete
  10. Hello!!! Thank you for making my day by sharing this story. :) I am married to Natalie's cousin and I already have my ticket for time out Memphis. Absolutely A-mazing.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear you're going to Memphis!! Make sure you take a moment to find Abe there! Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  11. Thank you for sharing this story! I know your son will never forget the example of his courageous mother sharing her testimony in that store & that there aren't coincidences in our lives, only tender mercies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love tender mercies Tamara!! God gives those tender mercies in abundance. I'm working on recognizing them daily. Thank you so much for your words.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful, amazing story. Open mouths open hearts, which then change the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosemary for reading. I feel honored any time the Lord allows me to be an instrument in HIS hands. You're right; if we open our mouths, HE will not fail us.

      Delete
  13. Ditto to what everyone else has said so well. Loved hearing about your experience and will remember your courage when I'm faced with something like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading my blog Valerie! I'm sure your courage is great because God put it within you to be GREAT!!!!!:)

      Delete
  14. Your story gave me chills this morning...the good kind!

    Thanks so much for sharing it with us. (I came from Natalie's FB page.)

    =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sue!! I love the good kind of chills!! I love how the Spirit works:)

      Delete
  15. I cried, this is such an incredible, undeniable experience that Christ knows his children and everything that they need to do in order to make the most out of their experiences that life has to offer. What a story and this could be anyone's, just be prepared to help another and keep your eyes and ears open to the possibilities that when asked to serve, it is not just for the person that it was asked for, but may be for your benefit as well. I thank you for sharing such a wonderful experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your insight! You are right! God works in all of our lives simultaneously!! HE is truly AMAZING!

      Delete
  16. Wow!!! How amazing! You and your strong family are such an example to me and my family! I admire you all for your fearlessness. I don't even know what to say. This is a truly amazing experience! Thank you for sharing it!!!! Love you guys!!!! -Amber

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Amber. I'm grateful that God placed this experience in our path. We love you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You don't know me. My parents (Dave & Patty Johnson), Grandma & sister go to your Ward. I heard about this through friends on Facebook. I just wanted to say what an amazing experience this was, & thank you for sharing! I think your children are blessed to have you both as their parents. I'm sure although it was very hard for your sons to experience this in the store (seeing others print wrong things about the church), the great lesson & spiritual experience that was reaped because of it all will be something that they will never forget. You should consider sending this in to the Ensign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment Laura! I love your parents!!! You're right, this has been a wonderful experience for my children. Tyson has started writing down his own miracles; he's spent hours writing about the many ways God has answered his prayers. Thank you for your suggestion as well.:)

      Delete
  19. Jennifer, thank you for your response. I understand you had many positive experiences with your Mormon friends growing up. I'm sorry your friend had such a hard time living among them in Idaho and that the local bishop made such a grievous mistake. I am not here to judge, and I would never base a whole entire religion or their doctrine based upon the actions of a few. We are all learning and growing as a people. I certainly hope those who have come in contact with me will know of my love for them and my Savior, Jesus Christ. One of my best friends in Utah is Muslim, and we share a beautiful spirituality together. Although our religions differ greatly, we pray for each other without judgement when we're facing hard times.

    The fact that missionaries or my husband served is not the miracle; let me clarify, the miracle was that God placed the same people in our lives after having served them. I believe God wanted us to love each other and for them to see the beauty of how we worship HIM-not bicker over differences. Our intention was not to convert them; our intention was to serve them, and that is what my husband did. This family knew their prayers were answered, and it would be blasphemous to claim that any answered prayer was simply the Mormons "canvasing for new members."

    The movie "Baptists at Our Barbecue" is not made by The Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It is a silly movie made independently by people actually making jokes at themselves as Mormons. I've only seen part of it, and it's certainly not attacking any doctrine.

    My husband sings in a music group called Jericho Road. Their music is beautiful and praises Jesus. They were number 1 in several Christian markets across the country until the radio stations found out that they lived in Utah. The Christian radio stations refused to play their music. One manager apologized to my husband and said he took his copy home for his own children to listen because it was so uplifting. Do we really have to put each other down? Can't we uplift instead?

    There are many doctrinal things that you shared that are inaccurate. While I do not feel it is appropriate to dispute them, there is one thing I do feel compelled to clarify. Your last paragraph describing our belief in Jesus is false. I agree with you... Jesus came to Earth both fully God and fully man which is why HE was able to feel our pain so immensely yet endure that pain without dying. Only when HE was ready to give HIS life for us was it taken. I know that is because of HIS great love for all of us. We also do not believe HE worked hard upon the Earth to become exalted. Jesus Christ IS the son of God.

    You are correct in saying that we do believe differently in how the Trinity/Godhead is interpreted. We believe in God the Eternal Father, and in his son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost. We believe they are 3 separate beings and one in purpose. We also believe that we are literal and spiritual children of our Heavenly Father, and the Bible supports that. Knowing that God wants the very best for me is what drives me to continue to try even harder as the world gets tougher.

    Jennifer, I see that you have faith in Jesus Christ as I do. I would hope that our purposes could be one in bringing others closer to our Savior, Jesus Christ, because that is where the miracles begin. That is why I served a mission and walked the streets- because I love my relationship with my Savior, and I want others to feel that same joy. But I think we both agree that whether we are Mormon, Methodist, Baptist, Catholic, or Muslim, we have a lot to learn from each other and to share with each other as sons and daughters of a loving Heavenly Father.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This debate is an interesting one that has been going on for hundreds of years. It wasn't until 325 that important people met together to decide what the 'true' doctrine would be. That is when they decided which books would be included in the Bible, what holidays would be celebrated and when, and the whole concept of the Trinity was set as 'truth.' Among other parts of the 'true doctrine' the Trinity wasn't accepted by all Christians at the time. I think doctrine will be debated until the Second Coming but we should really ask ourselves in every situation is What Would Jesus Do. For years I hated this little phrase because it seemed to trite. But in thinking about it I have realized it is a good reminder. Jesus, who washed the feet of the Apostles, who helped a Samaritan, respected women, served His Father's Will, and who asked "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." John 8:7 KJV

    Thank you, Rachel, for posting your experiences and reminding us of God's tender mercies.

    Desiree Neil

    ReplyDelete
  21. I forgot to mention the meeting was in Nicaea in the year 325. This is where the Nicene Creed comes from that many mainstream churches adhere to and recite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much Desiree for your comments. Your posts on this discussion are well-worded, very knowledgeable, and kind-hearted.... no judgments or accusations. Your heart is in the right place.

      I also truly appreciate your support of the purpose of my blog... God's tender mercies.

      Delete
  22. I delete those comments which do not uplift others to Christ. You will find that my posts do not ever say anything negative about what others believe. I merely state what my beliefs are and how God is working in my life. This is not the place for bashing; and if you are Christian as I am, I believe there is no place for that type of behavior. Christ did not teach by bashing others. Thank you and God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Clarification: This comment was made to the MANY comments which have already been deleted.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! As you prepare your words, please remember that I am a real person with a real family. Choose your words kindly and lovingly.