Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Mac & Cheese for Breakfast

With his own money, my 8-year old son, Jordan, bought Mariah a sweet little journal with the word “Love” imprinted on the top. 



He intended to give it to her for Christmas but forgot.  He had been hiding it ever since to give it to her for Valentine’s Day instead. 

Mariah was the most excited of all the children about Valentine’s Day.  She was especially sad that Abe was gone for this VERY special holiday about love.  In fact she had been going around the house saying, “Who votes for love?”  (Of course we all raised our hands each time love was up for a vote. J)

Since Jordan was the only one with a gift to give this Valentine’s Day, everyone gathered around to see Mariah’s face.  Just as we all hoped, she was thrilled.  That prompted all the other children to scramble and find gifts from their personal stashes to give to each other. 

Tyson and Jordan gave me a couple of their favorite bracelets they had made.  
After the spontaneous, mass giving party, Jordan wrapped his arms around me, laid his head on my lap and said, “It feels good.” 

I questioned him, “What feels good, honey?  Giving?”

“Yes… giving feels good.” Jordan replied. 

I loved receiving the bracelets, but I loved even more the moment of pure peace after the giving. It was pure contentment in his entire being.

Abe came home yesterday, so he wasn’t a part of our family’s Valentine’s giving party on Friday.  It was an exciting reunion once again.  (I never get tired of seeing the children's squeals and hugs when they reunite with their daddy.)

Yesterday, before Abe arrived home, I listened to a talk about the importance of teaching our children how to fulfill the covenants they make with God.  

I talked to Jackson the day before about getting up earlier and showing more responsibility.  I talked to him about his duties as the only priesthood holder in our home when Daddy is gone.  I prayed for him to understand the importance of his duties. 

This morning… Jackson and Jordan were up to something…

Jordan brought baby Jayden to our bedroom and told Abe and me to stay in bed.  We were happy to do that!

About 15 minutes later, Jackson entered our room to ask us what margarine was.  I explained to him that it was similar to butter. 

I could hear clanking around in the kitchen, and about 20 minutes later, Jackson and Jordan showed up in our bedroom like this… toooooo cute!!


Abe, Jayden, and I enjoyed a delicious dish of mac and cheese for breakfast in bed!!

Let me explain why this was so special.  Macaroni and cheese is one of my kids' favorite food.  When I make it for them, I always add chili beans, black beans, green beans, and sometimes corn to make it stretch, fill the children’s tummies more, and to make it a tad healthier. 

Last time we ate it, I noticed Jackson had eaten all the beans and vegetables first, so that  he could fully enjoy just the macaroni and cheese.  As he ate his plain macaroni and cheese, I could see the pure enjoyment in his face. 

One might be tempted to think that Jackson made us plain macaroni and cheese so that he could eat it that way too.  Not so, he gave Abe and me very LARGE bowls of macaroni, so the other children actually didn’t get very much of it at all. 

My heart was touched.  Jackson had listened to our talk, woke up earlier, taught his younger brother how to cook as a good priesthood leader would do, and then brought us the best of what he had to offer.   Then, to my pure contentment, I was grateful to see that Jackson was humble enough to allow the Holy Ghost to teach him how to fulfill his priesthood duties as a leader in the home… as an answer to my prayer. 

What a miracle to me to see these young children learning the joy of giving and the joy of fulfilling baptismal and priesthood responsibilities to love and serve how Jesus would.



4 comments:

  1. Dear Rachel,

    You and your family make me smile. So much. :)

    I have a bit of a confession, if I may call it that. Awhile back, when you posted about your amazing news about how everything was working out for you to move into your new home, I was SO VERY HAPPY for you. But the confession part is that I was also so sad--not for you, but for me. You see, I had noticed many parallels in our situations, and, while they are certainly different, so many of the things that you expressed in that post were things that my heart has been aching over for the past two and a half years. I thought, "Why can't blessings like that come to MY family? After our prayers and tears and fasting, why hasn't it been good enough? When will WE be able to get through our own mess? How does she push through the depression with so much strength, yet I can't muster the courage to push through it myself?" And of course, I was then troubled by the fact that I couldn't simply feel pure joy in the blessings that are so very, very deserved by your family who has worked SO HARD to make them come to be!

    I want you to know, though, that I really AM SO HAPPY for you and for your family, for the blessings that DO come your way. And I admire your ability to see the good even when life isn't ideal. I struggle with that, and I look to you to find ways to try to improve my own outlook. I am learning a lot from you, though I obviously have so far to go.

    I've been thinking so much about how you live your life and the sacrifices that you make to be close to God. I am trying, too, though I don't think I have it down quite like you do. But I suppose we're all at different places in our lives, right? I've generally considered myself to be strong, and to be doing what I was "supposed" to do. But I've been so discouraged lately at how far I really have to go. It's an uphill climb, and I don't think I'm as "in shape" as I need to be!

    Anyway, I'm not sure exactly the whole point of this comment, other than the fact that I've been wanting to comment and tell you how happy I was for you all, but I was disheartened by my own sadness over my own trials. And that somehow prevented me from saying anything at all.

    I'm sure grateful that you're still here, though, and that you still keep seeing the miracles in your each and every day. I'm glad that you are able to lift your family and so many others, and I'm grateful that I can learn from you.

    Thank you,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear, Sweet, Wonderful Jennifer,

      Thank you so much for your comment and for your honesty. I understand what you are feeling. When we lost 5 babies through failed adoptions, I felt disheartened and depressed when others told me about their miracles. I believed in their miracles, but I wanted MINE.

      Today's blog post is in honor of you. Thank you for inspiring me.

      I love you, and I know God is ever-so-mindful of you. HE is orchestrating GREAT things in your life. I know you know this, but we all need a reminder. I know I certainly do!!

      God bless you.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I certainly appreciate that they WANT to be good. :-)

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! As you prepare your words, please remember that I am a real person with a real family. Choose your words kindly and lovingly.