Monday, February 24, 2014

Sent by God

On Saturday morning, we held our morning devotional and scripture study as a family.  We read President Hinckley's words from his book, Stand a Little Taller.  He wrote, "Today will never come again.  'Have I done any good in the world today?  Have I helped anyone in need?'"

My children didn't recognize that President Hinckley was quoting a hymn, so we pulled out our hymn books and sang the hymn together.

  1. 1. Have I done any good in the world today?
    Have I helped anyone in need?
    Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
    If not, I have failed indeed.
    Has anyone's burden been lighter today
    Because I was willing to share?
    Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
    When they needed my help was I there?
  2. (Chorus)
    Then wake up and do something more
    Than dream of your mansion above.
    Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure,
    A blessing of duty and love.
  3. 2. There are chances for work all around just now,
    Opportunities right in our way.
    Do not let them pass by, saying, "Sometime I'll try,"
    But go and do something today.
    'Tis noble of man to work and to give;
    Love's labor has merit alone.
    Only he who does something helps others to live.
    To God each good work will be known.
We sang the song a couple of times and then talked about the words.  The words, "There are chances for work all around just now, opportunities right in our way," stuck in my mind.  We didn't know the needs of those around us.  We're new to the area.  What could we do?

Tyson suggested we make cookies for the neighbors.  We didn't have ingredients for cookies, so I decided to make bread for a particular neighbor instead.

While the bread was still hot, Tyson carried our prettiest loaf to our neighbor across the street. The other children tagged along.


They excitedly returned with this message:

The sweet elderly woman said she was feeling very sick, and that bread was exactly what she needed.  She thanked each of them and then asked Tyson to write down my phone number and the names of all the kids.

Tyson returned home, wrote all the requested information down, and took it back to our neighbor.

When he returned to her house, she thanked him again for the bread and said, "God sent the bread."

What a blessing that Tyson would hear those exact words!

We didn't tell our neighbor we had asked God who needed service today, but she knew God had sent that bread.  I am grateful that God comforted her, and I'm also grateful that my children were able to see such a direct need fulfilled as a result of their willing hearts of service.

Ours was a simple loaf of bread… walking a short distance across the street.  God makes our humble gifts much more far-reaching when we're acting in HIS name.

**** I want to thank the many sisters who sent loving messages to me via my husband at Time Out for Women in Layton, UT last weekend.  You lift our hearts.  I especially want to thank the dear sister who sent my husband with the cherished gifts and loving card.   I don't know who you are, but I know that GOD SENT YOU.  I read your card to our children, and we were all deeply touched by your kindness.   I don't know how to adequately thank you; but as the hymn says, "To God each good work will be known."  Your generous gifts of love are much more far-reaching than you will ever know. ****



2 comments:

  1. I feel like I havent reached out to you in a while! Things are getting a bit hectic trying to get ready for Nash's arrivial as well as working full time still. I think about you and your family and I love reading your blog. Thank you for taking the time to share your life and life's lessons with the world. I know I appreciate it more than you can know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea!! I anxiously await the arrival of your precious baby! I hope you write about his birth. :-) What a blessed child he already is. Thank you so much for reaching out. It's always wonderful to hear from you.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! As you prepare your words, please remember that I am a real person with a real family. Choose your words kindly and lovingly.