Thursday, March 26, 2015

The Talent Show: Touching Hearts

Last fall my children were in a fashion show that was a fundraiser for a wonderful organization called  Clarita's House. http://www.claritashouse.com  I was in charge of the children models. I told my kids to give it their all out there on the runway… oh my goodness… they DID!! They strutted their way to the end and danced their hearts out. Jordan was the highlight of the event when he dropped to the ground and did the worm!  Baby Jayden ran out after him. He too dropped to the ground. I thought he had fallen down! Nope… he was trying to do the worm too. The audience laughed, cheered, and snapped all kinds of pictures. It was a fun day, and the event was a great success.

The following is the video they made with highlights from the fashion show. The first minute and fifty seconds have a little bit of each of us. Even though we missed Jordan and Jayden's second entrance with the worm on the stage, they have a snip of Jordan practicing his worm before the show at 3 minutes and 34 seconds. Crazy little boy… :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jddTKkhEZQY






Soon after the fashion show, we received an email requesting that my children perform in a competition talent show in the Orlando area because they had heard about the kids' performances on the runway. I gladly accepted the invitation. If nothing else, I knew the children would have fun. 

Our family had just sang the song "Glorious" for a Christmas program we had put on at church. (Stephanie Mabey sang and wrote the song, and David Archuleta made it famous.) This song is very close to our heart.

The following link is David Archuleta's version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GytW_rgr0RM

Tyson, Jordan and Mariah prepared to sing "Glorious" in the younger kids division, and Jackson prepared a piece on his drum set to compete against the older kids.

Two days before the talent show, the organizers of the event informed me that I would need to prepare a second number in case our children made it to the finals. What?!? I didn't have time to prepare a second piece. The children sang through a couple songs that they could possibly do IF we made it to the finals… but we really didn't have time to prepare anything special. We had guests coming in from out of town that same weekend, and Abe was out of town too. I was swamped.

The day of the event came. Tyson, Jordan and Mariah performed "Glorious" beautifully. When they finished, I trembled as I watched the people rise to their feet. They were the only ones to receive a standing ovation the entire evening! Jackson did an awesome job drumming on his set and received a great applause after his rock session. :-)

They announced those who would go to the finals round, and Tyson, Jordan and Mariah were selected from their song, "Glorious." I immediately grabbed them and ran outside to prepare them for a second number. They knew lots of songs from church that they had been singing their entire lives, so we created a quick medley of "A Child's Prayer" and "I am a Child of God."

I told the children that they would NOT win first place because there were some highly talented children performing. Instead, we huddled as a family and asked God for HIS Spirit so that we would be able to touch hearts.  

I sat nervously through the performances waiting for my little ones' turn. We had only talked about what they would do on stage and quickly sang through the songs. These songs were so simple and basic that I wondered how this could this match their first number?

Their hope was to share God's light.

Mariah stood alone in the center of the stage and sang in acapella the first part of "A Child's Prayer."

Heavenly Father, are you really there?
And do you hear and answer ev'ry child's prayer?
Some say that heaven is far away, 
But I feel it close around me as I pray.
Heavenly Father, I remember now
Something that Jesus told disciples long ago:

"Suffer the children to come to me."
Father, in prayer I'm coming now to thee.


She knelt down for the final words "Father in prayer I'm coming now to thee."

Her brothers then entered the stage from both sides and knelt by her side as they sang with her these words:

Pray, he is there; 
Speak, he is list'ning.
You are his child; 
His love now surrounds you.
He hears your prayer; 
He loves the children.
Of such is the kingdom, the kingdom of heav'n.


Then all three children rose up together holding hands as they sang in strong voices, "I am a Child of God."

  1. I am a child of God,
    And he has sent me here,
    Has given me an earthly home
    With parents kind and dear.
  2. Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
    Help me find the way.
  3. Teach me all that I must do
    To live with him someday.

    It was simple, and it was beautiful.
They announced the winners, starting with third place. We cheered for everyone and then looked around the room as they prepared to announce the 1st place winner. There was a drum roll… Everybody sat quietly. First place would receive a significant cash prize. We waited and smiled at all the contestants… then they announced, "The Mills Family!!" What an absolute surprise and joyful time for my little performers. They received their prize and smiled for pictures. Then they returned to their seats.

After the entire show was over, my children were still sitting in their seats when a lady approached them with tears in her eyes. She said, "I just want you to know how much you touched my heart." Wow! That was the best part of the day. That was EXACTLY what we prayed for. We wanted to touch hearts. Not only did God allow the children to win the entire contest from singing songs about HIM, but HE allowed them to touch hearts in the process… for that was their truest desire… to touch hearts.

In a day and age where there is so much emphasized on big, spectacular presentations, the audience and the judges were touched by the Holy Ghost as the children shared a humble and eternal message from God. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh...what an amazing event and how joyful I am that they won! Your entire family is SO talented. I wish I could have been there to feel that wonderful spirit! I love you Rachel Mills, what an example you are to me. Thank you for being YOU!!!!
    Love, Nancy Rogers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Nancy, I love you so much!! You uplift all who are around you! Thank you for YOUR beautiful spirit and sweet friendship.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! As you prepare your words, please remember that I am a real person with a real family. Choose your words kindly and lovingly.