Tuesday, November 12, 2013

FANTASTIC NEWS!! HEFY!!

Last winter, a sister in our church congregation in Michigan told me about this wonderful organization called HEFY.  It stands for Humanitarian Experience for Youth.  Much like EFY (Especially for Youth) the youth have a great time growing spiritually and socializing with others of their faith; but they also get to travel to a foreign country to serve the people by building homes and schools.  While they are there, they learn to embrace and love the people and their culture.

The moment this sister told me about it, I cried because the Holy Ghost overwhelmed my whole body.  I knew at that very moment that I HAD to be involved somehow.  For years I had wanted something EXACTLY like this for my own children when they became teenagers. What a wonderful way to prepare to be full-time missionaries and to learn to look beyond themselves and the comforts of their home.  What an eye-opening and heart-opening experience that would be!!

I researched it a bit and then forgot about it for a while.  Then... in June, while we ran our big Ragnar race in Canada, I had this overwhelming feeling to look into being involved with HEFY again.  The next day we went to church in New York.  A sister who was also visiting from another state was there. We got to talking and then she said, "I don't know if you know about this or not... a lot of times people outside of Utah don't hear about things like this... but there is this wonderful organization called HEFY.  Have you heard of it?"

Oh my goodness!  The Holy Spirit rushed through my body once again.  I had just been reminded of it the night before, and now somebody was talking to me about it once again.  I felt overjoyed in my soul.

There was a position called "Trip Leader." That person leads the group of teenagers in the foreign country on the expedition.

To be a Trip Leader, they preferred people who had:
Served a mission:  check-  I served in BOLIVIA!!
Speak a foreign language:  check-  I speak Spanish!
Served as an EFY counselor:  check- It was a LONG time ago, but I was also a speaker!
Served with the youth:  check (I was Young Women President last year!)

They had many other preferences... such as being a bit younger than I am... but I have an active, young soul!!

I applied because the Holy Ghost told me to.  Abe, my husband supported me FULLY.  My parents and in-laws agreed to help with the kids if by chance they accepted an "old" Trip Leader as myself.

There is a pattern in my life when I take a huge step of faith.  Whenever I get a crazy idea and then follow it because the Spirit told me to do it, I do it... but ALWAYS... right after it... Satan tries to make me feel stupid.  Weird, huh...

Well... the moment I applied, I felt stupid.  I thought:  "What am I doing? I have six kids at home.  I can't up and leave them for 2 1/2 weeks!  What if I die and then they don't have their mom because I went on this service expedition?  What if something happens to them, and I can't be there?"

Jackson, my oldest, assured me that he would take charge at home.  He already started planning a schedule for the younger kids' time... "reading for 2 hours, and then board games for 2 hours after that... " :-)

I pulled myself together, remembered that the adversary casts doubt into our minds when we're following the Spirit, and I cast his ugly thoughts away.  I KNEW the Spirit guided me to apply... for whatever reason, and I was going to move forward with faith!!

Just yesterday I received the highly anticipated email.  Yes!!  Yes!! Yes!!  I am crying now with joy as I make the announcement here:

I was accepted as a Trip Leader for the 3rd Session of the BOLIVIA EXPEDITION!!    I AM GOING TO BOLIVIA THIS SUMMER for 2 1/2 weeks!!  I AM GOING BACK TO THE PEOPLE I SERVED ON MY MISSION.  My children are so excited and inspired by all of this.  They wanted me to go so badly that they were running and jumping up and down with me.  Abe and his mom gave me giant hugs.  My mom cheered on the phone with excitement- the emotion intensified when they realized I am being sent to my beloved Bolivia.

God works in many wonderful ways, and I may never know all of HIS marvelous workings.  However, I already feel many of the blessings that will come from this:

I feel that my children will be inspired to do more service in their lives.   I get to work with some amazing youth of our church, and I get to serve the people of my mission 15 years ago.

I am so grateful for such a supportive husband who encourages me to follow the "crazy" ideas that come into my head.  I am especially grateful for the Holy Ghost who spoke the words into my heart.

This is truly a miracle in my life... in fact, my patriarchal blessing (a special priesthood blessing given to me at the age of 14) speaks of such opportunities.  My heart is giving much thanks to God.

For more info about HEFY:  www.hefy.org  (Many of their expeditions are already filled up!)

16 comments:

  1. Wow! What an amazing experience...already, AND to come! I'm so happy for you that you get to serve both the people of your mission and the youth of the church. You will absolutely and positively make the most WONDERFUL Trip Leader. And you've taught your family so well; they will no doubt also be doing great things while you go to serve. What wonderful news! Can't wait to hear all about it when it comes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing in the excitement with me!! Thank you also for reminding me that my children will be doing great things as well. God works miracles everywhere simultaneously! Your words make me excited to plan an amazing and productive 2 1/2 weeks for them with their dad and grandparents instead of worrying about them. Looking at it from that perspective takes away my worry. Thank you!!

      Delete
  2. How awesome!!! Have you ever been back to your mission? My brother went back to brazil about a year after he got home because he realized that he might not ever make it back.
    I'm so excited for you!!! You'll have to take LOTS AND LOTS of pictures if you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your brother is right. It's VERY difficult to make it a priority once you have children. I didn't even know HEFY would be sending me to "my country!" What a blessing! I have never been back. I am still in good contact with several of the members there. I hope I get to see them. ...and YES! I will take LOTS and LOTS of pictures. :-) My heart melted when I saw the children in the streets as a missionary. They would run to me, and I would hold them all. I made balloons for them too. I'll be missing my own children, so the Bolivian children will be bombarded with hugs and kisses from me. :-) Thank you so much for your words. :-)

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy for you, I'm crying! What a truly wonderful blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for crying with me! :-) I feel so much gratitude in my heart.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations!!! You will be a FANTASTIC leader!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very, very much for your encouraging words!! :-)

      Delete
  5. RACHEL!!!!!YEAH YAHOO YEHAW!!SO EXTRA EXCITED FOR YOU!!!! What a miracle of an opportunity to be in your mission area and as a counselor once again to the youth. So amazing WOW jumping for joy with you and your family. What great support and love your family has for you.
    Rachel I couldn't think of anyone better to touch these youth with such intense spiritualness:) not sure that is even a word! So super excited and can't wait to hear all about it. What a wonderful Journey for you and your family and the things that you can teach your children.... I am SUPER EXCITED!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. xoxoxo Your words are so fun and descriptive that I feel like I'm right there with you jumping. Hooray!! Thank you! It feels so good to know of your love- to share this joy with me. :-) My heart is touched. I am already pondering and praying about that responsibility to uplift these precious youth so that they feel strengthened by the influence of the Holy Ghost. Thank you!!

      Delete
  6. Oh Rachel, I am so thrilled for you! The blessing of being able to return to Bolivia and serve the people you loved so much as a missionary--it just boggles the mind! I know that you, your family, and those you serve will be so blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much!! I recognize this is a beautiful gift from God, and I'm so very grateful. Thank you for your testimony of the blessings that are yet to come! God is so wonderful.

      Delete
  7. Que chevere! Bacan! Que asombroso!

    I teared up too, thinking of the utter preciousness of the hand of the Lord to send you to Bolivia to the people you served on your mission. I hold a special place in my heart for the people I served in Ecuador. It feels like an honor, doesn't it, to serve these amazing people?

    Please know that through this simple miracle (and many others, too), that the Lord has demonstrated to you your worth and your strength and abilities. All the time and efforts you have put into your family are now paying off, when YOU need to go away and serve others. I am in awe, but not jealous because I want you to have this awesome and amazing experience, because you deserve it and you are a beautiful daughter of God and He knows you and this experience is for you.

    Con amor y un fuerte abrazo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it perfectly. It DOES feel like such an honor to serve them. Thank you so much for your beautiful words. I do feel that this experience is one that God has carefully orchestrated to speak beautiful truths to my heart and the hearts of my family members... and to those whom I do not know yet. I feel so much gratitude to be able to serve I can't even put it into words.

      Muchas gracias por tu fuerte abrazo y mucho amor. Yo puedo sentir la sinceridad de tu corazón. Eres un angel verdadera. Te quiero mucho.

      Delete
  8. I loved reading this; your wonderful energy and spirit comes through your writing. I'm blessed to be your friend and I'm so excited for your adventure to Bolivia this summer.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nancy!! I think about you so often. You are my forever, dear friend. I love you!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! As you prepare your words, please remember that I am a real person with a real family. Choose your words kindly and lovingly.