Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Emotional Roller Coaster

I've been a bit grumpy for the last couple of days, so I honestly didn't feel like I could write anything of worth.  In the midst of my grumpiness, many little miracles and kind deeds helped me to feel God's love and understanding for me despite my imperfections.

These are my downswings lifted by God's upswings:

*Right in the thick of my emotional struggle, the Bishop called my husband's cell phone.  He said, "I'm at work right now, but I just felt like I should take a break and call your family.  Is everything ok?"  Abe answered quite brightly that all was great in our lives.  When he hung up, I said, "Why did you tell him that everything was great?  I am not GREAT!!  I'm really, really sad!  I'm going to call him back right now."  (We've only spoken to our Bishop briefly once or twice in the two months we have lived here, so Abe seemed quite surprised that I was going to pour out my heart of frustrations to him.)  Abe said, "Have you thought through what you're going to say to him before you call him back?"  I told him I didn't need to because the Bishop already felt inspired to call me- he knew somebody in our family was struggling.  I want him to know he was inspired to call!"  Although my frustrating situation has not changed, our bishop's phone call was a great step towards feeling validated and understood.  The Bishop shared the greatness of God's love for me, and the power with which he spoke touched my heart.  He assured me my frustrations were not silly.  I needed that validation because I felt ungrateful to God every time my frustrations crept back into my heart.  My biggest frustration being that I don't have a space to call my own.

*I went to the store... still feeling grumpy.  When you're grumpy, you start to see the whole world as grumpy too.  I was on my way back out to the van with my cart.  There was a lady walking beside me.  She happened to be going to the car right next to my big van.  She impolitely crossed in front of me and cut me off so that she could open her car before I could open the side of my van to let my children into the van.  I just stood back and didn't say a word.  I watched her wondering why she felt like she had to be so impolite.    She then hurried to her trunk while I began loading my children and my groceries into the side of the van.  Right at that moment, my bag of apples tipped over and half of them went rolling under my van and under the car on the other side of the van.  I grumbled as I got on my stomach to reach the apples.  While down there, I was shocked to see this same woman rushing over to crawl under another car reaching for my other apple that I had lost.  I couldn't believe this was the same woman who I assumed was in too much of a rush to think of others.  It felt so good in my heart to see this woman how God sees her... a woman who is kind and full of service.

*After spending the entire morning making phone calls to Walmart's customer service, I went straight to Walmart to resolve a ridiculous issue about a refund for my phone.  There were all kinds of conflicting emails I was receiving from a third party company associated with Walmart, and instead of sending me a reimbursement for a new phone when they were supposed to, this third party was going to take a week to do it.  I complained to them for quite some time that I needed a phone sooner to keep track of my kids and that ethically they needed to follow through with what they said they would do.   I prayed for help because I was feeling like this was just one more thing piled on top of my other frustrations.  A stranger- a really big man with tatoos all over his legs- approached me with the upmost sincerity.  He very lovingly said, "How are you doing?"  I said, "I'm frustrated."  He responded so kindly, "I understand.  I overheard, and I'm sorry." I could have hugged him right then and there!!  Finally, the manager looked at me with sympathy and said, "We're going to take care of you."  We walked to the back of the store, got the new phone; and while they rang it up, one of his co-workers even rushed to get a chair for me to sit down while I held my sleeping baby Jayden.  I felt grateful for resolution and so much kindness in the process.

*I had so much to do... I still needed to get my Florida Driver's license.  With documents in hand, I went to the wrong location, had insufficient documents, and I discovered it would cost 20 more dollars than I had assumed.  After driving to the next city, I finally made it to the license desk.  I had my picture taken for my license while I was once again holding my sleeping baby Jayden.  I stood at the desk, and the employee called to another customer to get me a chair.  I couldn't believe he was doing that for me.  I sat quietly and relaxed from all my worries as he recorded all my documents into Florida records.

I've never had anyone rush to get me a chair in a public place... two different gentlemen in two different locations insisted on bringing me a chair when I needed extra tenderness.  Again, I felt God's hand comforting my grumpy, sad, and worn out soul.

*I decided that along with increased scripture study, I wanted to return to memorizing more scriptures as a family so that words of encouragement were running through our minds with more ease.  We had been slacking in that area for several months.  I was trying to devise a plan to help my younger children and older children stay on the same page with their memorization, but their ability to memorize varied greatly.  I felt inspired to visit a blog that I hadn't been to in a very long time.  I was surprised to see her page filled with great ideas of how to help little children memorize the most important pieces of scripture.  That's EXACTLY what I had been pondering about!  I downloaded 6 of her scripture signs and presented the plan to the family.  That experience reassured me that God was still giving me revelation even though I felt lost in our financial endeavors.  HE has not left us alone- I know that God is very much a part of our lives, and I am more confident in that knowledge when HE guides us in these simple areas of life.

*I have felt like a roller coaster of emotions.  I told my husband that I need even more tenderness these days.  His father held my hands and explained to Abe that women just need to be catered to sometimes.  My humble husband came home with roses and a long, tender kiss today!

I felt silly being the one with emotional issues, but now I feel grateful that I am loved enough by a dear Heavenly Father who placed people in my path these last couple of days to "cater" to my roller coaster of emotions.  I'm not always like this, and I'm trying desperately to keep a bright perspective on what may be in our financial future.  In the meantime, I'm grateful there are inspired Bishops, strangers, father-in-laws, and husbands who are willing to do the little things that let me know God is aware of our every need.

8 comments:

  1. Oh Rachel,
    I love how open and honest you are. I have been thinking a lot lately about my situation and how things in my life could be better here and there. I have been pondering this question and want to throw it out to you...Here it goes!Do you think that if you don't always say your prayers everyday and /or sometimes reads scriptures on occasion, do you think That I am denying myself of blessings that could be waiting for me? I read your blog and I see how things seem to be there for you and I wonder If I am denying myself those same blessings especially since I don't always do those things? I Hope that i am making sense. I keep thinking that maybe if I would I could see more success in different aspects of my life. I wanted to see what your thoughts on this matter were especially since you are experimenting with it right now with even a deeper focus? just curious











    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marisa, thank you so much for your question. You gave me a lot to ponder about as I read my scriptures this morning. Thank you again!! :-)

      First of all, I’m sorry if this answer is WAY too long. None of us fully understand God’s ways, and I would never pretend to. This is what came to my mind and heart as I read, so here it is. :-)

      *I was reading in Alma in The Book of Mormon this morning. In chapter 49, Captain Moroni prepared his people to defend themselves against their enemies, and they won because they strengthened their weak cities and built up large mounds of dirt to protect them from the arrows and stones from their enemies. In Alma 49:27, it says, “Moroni had kept the commandments of God in preparing for the safety of his people.” (I likened it to our command to prepare for the spiritual safety of our families.) In chapter 50, Moroni’s army had just won the battle, and they were thanking God. Even though they were doing great against their enemies, in verse 1, “Moroni did not stop making preparations.” (In my personal application: although he had done very well, and God helped them for what they were able to do, there was more that they could do just like there is always more that I can add on to what I am already doing… step by step.)

      Moroni built up his defense step by step as well. In the battle throughout chapter 49, Captain Moroni built up huge ridges of dirt to protect their cities. When his preparation continued, they dug up “heaps of earth” around all the cities. Then, on top of the ridges of dirt, he built up tall timbers, and on top of those timbers, he put up a “frame of pickets” (vs.3), and (vs.4) “And he caused towers to be erected that overlooked those works of pickets, and he caused places of security to be built upon those towers, that the stones and the arrows of the Lamanites could not hurt them.”

      I loved reading how many layers of protection he provided for his people: ridges, timbers, pickets, and towers. If I miss a day or two of scripture study, I believe God will still bless me in my time of need; however, it’s easier to build on the mounds of dirt before the dirt erodes away. Does that make sense?

      Delete
    2. Sorry, I'm still writing. :-)
      *A very important point: I have a very strong testimony of the power of scripture study, so my responsibility to read them in order to receive the desired blessings is greater than that of somebody who does not have a testimony of that principle the same way that I do. On the flipside, there are a million people in this world who are stronger emotionally than I am, so maybe their need for miracles in that area of life are not as necessary as they are for me. I’m so grateful for a perfect Heavenly Father who gives us challenges, commands, and miracles according to our need.

      *In General Conference, one of the brethren spoke about his father’s family how one day their family took a Sunday afternoon drive instead of going to church. After that time, it became easier for them to miss church again. I think it may be the same with diets, exercise, scripture reading, and prayers. We don’t want to allow ourselves the option of not doing it. Having said that, I have missed LOTS of days of reading and prayer in my life. On those days, when I face trouble, I have even prayed in my heart saying, “I know I didn’t read today, but can you still help me?” I know Heavenly Father isn’t going to abandon us in our need just because we weren’t as diligent as we were supposed to be for a few days, but I do believe that when I’m more diligent, more confidence and ability to apply my faith increases which results in a better perspective of what God is actually doing in my life. The scripture we memorized yesterday was in Mark 9:23 “All things are possible to him that believeth.” I am better at believing that all things are possible when I am building up my ridges of defense against the adversary just as Moroni did.

      Well… I’m not sure if I made any sense, but those are my thoughts. I hope I answered your question. You are so sweet to ask me what I think because I clearly have so much to learn. God bless you!

      Delete
  2. Thanks again for all that you have written it always makes me smile and ponder and feel uplifted. I am sorry that you are feeling so frustrated at this time but thank you for showing us who you are and that you go through junk too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for loving me through my junk. :-) Sending you lots of love!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your reply it was what i needed you are so kind to reply. Thank you more than you will know of your words. Here and just everyday in your blog:) You are an inspiration and have wonderful insights:) sending you lots of love and prayers that you will endure your trial of finding a "home" that can be hard. You need a break and relief of such troubles. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am enjoying reading the last 15 posts of yours. I've been out of town for 2 weeks and really missed being able to "visit" with you during that time. I came home to some really sad news of one friend dying from Pancreatic Cancer and another friend passing away from a heart attack! Your messages have lifted my spirits. I am so thankful that I know you and that you are able to say things that help me in times that I feel such sadness! Thank you Rachel for just being you and for having such a beautiful spirit and such an amazing testimony of everything that Heavenly Father wants us to know! You and your family are AMAZING, and I love you! Love, Nancy Rogers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Nancy, I am very, very sorry for your losses. You love so deeply and so sincerely; I know your losses are breaking your heart. Thank you for taking the time to read during this time. I'm glad we can stay connected. I love who you are. I love your giving heart. I love that I have a vivid image of you in your beautiful home. What a blessing to know you. Thank you for blessing me with your friendship. Sending you and your husband so much love and many hugs.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! As you prepare your words, please remember that I am a real person with a real family. Choose your words kindly and lovingly.