Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Live Your Life Like Gragran

It was my father's birthday yesterday, and I called him to sing Happy Birthday.  He kindly listened and then quickly reported that he was racing out the door to help my 94 year old grandmother.

My grandmother, whom we call Gragran, had collapsed, and my mother needed help with her.  Once my dad arrived, my parents called the ambulance because Gragran's coloring did not look good.

I waited and worried all day wondering how she was doing.  The doctors believe her collapse was the result of a newly discovered heart condition and dehydration.

Although 94 years old and although most every part of her body aches, Gragran is determined to make the most of each day God has given her.  In fact, she collapsed while attempting to arrange quilt pieces after a busy morning of shopping!   Gragran continues to hand quilt such intricate pieces that even my young hands and eyes couldn't do what she does!  She has a beautiful garden full of vegetables and flowers.  She feeds the animals that come to visit her yard, and she cooks delicious food for us when we come to visit.

My mother stayed by my dear grandmother's side until late into the night last night.  As Gragran lay in her hospital bed, she was in good spirits.  She is 94 years old, and she had never known what it could feel like to take a day off and not worry about getting anything else done.  She actually enjoyed it!  "How is it that Gragran has lived ninety-four years, and she's just now discovering a "lazy day?" I questioned my mother.  We both agreed on the answer:  she's simply amazing and a beautiful example of service and love.

Every day, my mother makes copies of my "Daily Miracles" and brings them across the street to her house because she loves to read them.  When I feel tired and worn out.... that maybe I won't write for the day, I think of my dear grandmother who musters up every bit of energy she has to do the things God wants her to accomplish each day.

Having a weakened body must be very discouraging for her because her valiant spirit wants to do so much more.  I hope my dear Gragran knows how much she touches our hearts by fully living the beautiful life God has prepared for her.  HE does not expect more from her.  We do not either.  We are grateful for Gragran and her heart of service and love.









12 comments:

  1. We were out of town all last week and so I have spent the last couple of days getting caught up on reading your blog posts. As I started to write my comment I was reminded of the email I sent to you the first time I was introduced to your blog. I realized I was saying the same things I had before. I quote:

    "I am almost not sure where to begin. I guess it would be on February 13 when Time Out for Women posted your blog post on Facebook and I read it. I wept. My heart was so touched and I was so overwhelmed with the connection I felt that I sought out your blog. Over the last few days I have read everything you have written. That is my miracle. Through you Heavenly Father has given me many reminders, assurances, answers, lessons, etc. that I have been looking for and needed to hear. So many of your thoughts and experiences I could relate with. It has been so comforting to be able to feel that I am not the only one. I haven't been able to feel or share that with anyone around me and that has been frustrating for me. You are hundreds of miles away (I live in Utah) and via modern technology I have been blessed. I am so grateful to have a Heavenly Father that loves me!!"

    After many months I still have all of these feelings only much, much stronger. More often than not I am shocked at the similarities in our trials, how you say exactly what I have been thinking, or you say what I need to hear. Believe me when I say I KNOW. Your financial struggles are all too familiar.

    Yesterday I came across something said by Jeffrey R. Holland. "If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived."

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much for your uplifting words. Thank you for connecting with me and sharing that connection. God sure does love us so much to connect people across the world. :-) Thank you also for this absolutely perfect quote. What a beautiful opportunity we have to lift each other when we connect on a spiritual level. Thank you... and very TIGHT HUGS back to you. :-)

      Delete
    2. Lorraine, your quote from Elder Holland is an answer to my prayers. I'm sharing more about that today. Thank you so much again.

      Delete
  2. What a special lady who is leaving a wonderful legacy to such a wonderful family.It can be hard to find other women to look up to in our society and what an amazing example to have!! What an extraordinary example you are Rachel! It runs in the family:)

    Doubt not!!! You know who is wanting you to:)
    Love ya
    MArisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry i know the Doubt not part doesn;t fit i just felt you needed to hear that today:)

      Delete
    2. Marisa, thank you for sweet comment. My grandmother was able to go home yesterday... but with a possible broken foot. My mother stayed the night in her home last night to keep an eye on her.

      Thank you for your words: "Doubt not." Those words replayed in my mind several times throughout my day yesterday. You're exactly right- recognizing the source of doubt helps to dispel it. My husband appreciated your reminder to me as well. :-)

      Delete
  3. I am grateful that I followed the inspiration to type those words for you. Thank you for expanding on it to answer my prayers in return:) Tell Abe no problem and that Jericho road is Awesome. Thanks for his sacrifice to share his Amazing talents and abilities.Is he thinking of coming to Canada sometime (alberta area) sometime with TOFW and are you coming to be one of the speakers? We would love to see you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marisa:

      Thanks for the comment! We would love to come back to Alberta. It has been several years, but we were brought up by our friend David Prete and loved every minute of it! We performed in Cardston, Lethbridge, Calgary and Edmonton. We survived a mammoth snow storm, played floor hockey, and witnessed a chinook! Where do you live in Alberta. Our friends in Edmonton who brought us up are Cindy and Dan Suelzle. We have always loved Alberta! Maybe we will get lucky and be chosen for a TOFW event there!

      Delete
    2. Oh thank you so much again! Do you know how much I would LOVE to have the opportunity to share my testimony at TOFW? I cherish every speaking opportunity I have received. I agree- Abe is awesome and amazing!! We would love to come Alberta!

      Delete
    3. I live in Calgary It sounds like you have seen the Fun of Canada. It would be great to have you both here maybe this time in the spring to help you not have to worry about the Yucky snow but those chinooks sure help out so that it doesn't feel so COLD!!! TOFW so far is not scheduled to come here in 2014 but I will keep my fingers crossed. Rachel when you spoke at EFY it was always so moving and spiritual and captivating. I would love to see you on the TOFW circut:)

      Delete
  4. Rachel--Thanks so much for capturing your sweet Gragran's personality and hard-working spirit. I love the pics and how big she is smiling. I know she is in pain daily just to move but she finds the strength to smile and her smile lights up the room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet words. I full-heartedly agree! Her smile DOES light up the room. Gragran has had a really hard time losing your Grammy. Grammy is her forever "Buddy." They are quite the pair. I love you!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! As you prepare your words, please remember that I am a real person with a real family. Choose your words kindly and lovingly.