Thursday, October 17, 2013

Scriptures at the Picnic Table

I dropped off my little Jordan and Mariah for a violin class at the public school this morning before the regular school hours started.   I planned on sitting under a tree far away from anyone while I read my scriptures, but the assistants at the school convinced me to sit at the picnic tables right by the doors.

There was another mother sitting at a picnic table beside me chatting with her son.

I sat there with my baby Jayden and Juliana and read my scriptures.  I tried not to be obvious about what I was doing, but the assistant walked by me and spoke slowly in a stunned voice, "Are... you... reading your... BIBLE?"

I nodded and smiled.  She responded more positively than I expected.  "That's great!!" she exclaimed.

As I continued to read, I overheard the mother at the next table begin to talk to her son about loving God and not showing hatred to other kids while at school.  She talked to him about going back to church.

Her son seemed confused by the sudden change in conversation.  He said, "What Mom?"  (This didn't seem to be a normal conversation between the two of them, but I was grateful that they were having it.) I believe the short interaction between me and the assistant reminded this mother of the things she wanted to implement into her home.  I admired her humility and ability to change her conversation with her child the moment she felt it in her heart.

I wondered... "Am I humble enough to learn from strangers?"  I'm trying, and I'm grateful for the good people around me who teach me so much.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this. I sometimes find it easy to learn from strangers, but hard to learn from those I know well. PRIDE! I'm so glad you found the printables. I'm busy but plan on making more. Email me if you have any favorites I could make artwork for.

    You are Sunshine!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right!! My pride gets in the way all too often!!

      I'll keep checking for more printables! You have everything so easily accessible. Thank you for your beautiful influence for good! :-) Thank you so much for your sweet comment too. God bless you!!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! As you prepare your words, please remember that I am a real person with a real family. Choose your words kindly and lovingly.