Thursday, March 28, 2013

Jordan's Cup of Love and Sacrifice

We don't buy juice very often in our house; and when we do, we ration it very carefully.  The reason being that we would literally go through a gallon a day if we gave the children free reign.  They love it that much!

Today, we had a 2 qt. container of the good kind of orange juice that's not from concentrate.  Jordan is by far my biggest fruit and juice lover, but strangely he hadn't had any juice yet.  He asked me this afternoon if he could have some.  Seeing I could use it as leverage, I told him he could have some after he finished his chores.  When he finished, he came to me again requesting the special orange juice.  I told him to go ahead a get a cup of it and bring me one too at the same time.

A few minutes later, Jordan came to me with 2 cups- a blue one and a clear one.  The blue one was filled three quarters full, and the clear one was empty with only a few drops.  His eyes were a little red with tears brimming the edges as he handed me the blue cup that was three quarters full.  All he said was, "Here Mommy."  I thanked him and then looked closer at him... I said, "Jordan, did you get any juice?"

He said, "No, I poured some in my cup first and noticed there was only a tiny bit left, so I poured my cup of juice into your cup.  Then Tyson came and wanted juice, so I offered the last bit to him."  I could see that Jordan was very sad and holding back the tears- trembling a bit.  Realizing he didn't even save any for himself, I quickly gave him my cup of juice.

I couldn't believe what I was witnessing.  This little 7 year old boy and his selflessness- to give up what he wanted most so that he could make others happy.  After I gave him my cup of juice, he quickly worried about me and said, "... but Mommy, you didn't get any either."  I assured him that it was OK and gave him a tender hug.  My heart was so touched by this precious little soul.

I think I'll always have a vivid image in my mind of my sweet little boy standing before me with 2 cups in his hands... Those two cups symbolized great love; it had to be love that caused him to perform such a selfless, Christlike act.

As I wrote this story of Jordan, I thought I was finished writing... but then I felt a strong prompting to change the words in my story from "glass" to "cup."  I didn't know why it mattered, but I felt very strongly to go back to my writing to change it.  I even felt a little silly editing such a minor word.

The moment I made the changes, the Spirit rushed over me, and I began to cry realizing the significance of the word "cup" in this Easter season.   Jordan gave up his cup so that I could receive happiness.  Although a small sacrifice, this cup symbolized my child's great love and willingness to sacrifice.  Christ's cup is a symbol of the absolute greatest love and the absolute greatest sacrifice of all.

It would have been on the Thursday before Christ's death and resurrection when Jesus held the Last Supper with his apostles.  Today is Thursday.   Jesus introduced the sacrament and spoke of his sacrifice to come.

Luke 22:20 "Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you."

Matthew 26:27 "And He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it."

Mark 14:23-24"And He took the cup, and when He had given thanks, He gave it to them: and they all drank of it.  And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many.

And then, on that Thursday night, the greatest of all suffering took place in the Garden of Gethsemane. Bleeding from every pour, the pain became almost unbearable.

Matthew 26:39  And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me:  nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

I feel like Christ himself reminded me tonight of HIS sacrifice.  I feel like HE himself guided me to change a simple word that would rush my soul with so much love and gratitude to HIM.  Tears continue to flow knowing that Jesus Christ loves us enough to remind us that HE partook of that cup so that we may be saved.




2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hello Mandy! I read your comment to Jordan, and he says thank you so much. :-)

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! As you prepare your words, please remember that I am a real person with a real family. Choose your words kindly and lovingly.