Friday, March 22, 2013

Just a Moment of My Time

I hesitate to write this experience because I hope it comes across the right way.  After my internal debate, I decided that I learned too much from this experience to not share it.

Last Summer, I made a surprise visit to a dear friend who lives out of state.  I was in the area, and I hadn't seen her in a year and a half.  I knocked on her door, and she was so shocked!!  We embraced extra tight knowing our friendship and our connection was forever.  I felt overjoyed to see her because her influence had been invaluable to me over the years.  She had advised and comforted me through trials in ways that nobody else could have at that time in my life.

Just today, nine months later, I received a letter from her.  It said, "It's been a long time, but I wanted to thank you for stopping by last Summer... I felt like you were an angel sent straight to my door exactly when I needed a hug and encouragement to keep going.  God bless you for being my angel that day."

I couldn't believe it!  I didn't know she was struggling.  I didn't know that my visit meant anything extra special that particular day.  I didn't do anything great, but I thank Heavenly Father that HE let me be at the right place at the right time.

I had a very strong thought after I read this letter, and this is why I shared this experience:

That visit to my dear friend only took a moment.  I may have never known how much it meant to her.  I didn't even know for nine months!  How much good could I do if I made more simple, quick visits, phone calls, or letters.  Could I have more opportunities to help encourage another?  I would like to be an instrument in the Lord's hands more often, and I thank HIM for the opportunity to know what that brief visit meant to my dear friend.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great reminder to us all to listen to the promptings of the Spirit. This reminded me of a Conference Talk from President Thomas S. Monson (Oct 2012 - Consider the Blessings)

    https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2012/10/consider-the-blessings?lang=eng&query=consider+blessings

    Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the link to this conference talk! I just reread it and loved every bit of it. I felt embarrassed sharing a story that was about something that I had done to help another, but I forgot that our own prophet told his stories as well. They were for the same reasons that I did... to show God's hand in our lives. Thank you! President Monson's life is filled with experiences where he followed the Spirit without hesitation. What a beautiful life he lives!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! As you prepare your words, please remember that I am a real person with a real family. Choose your words kindly and lovingly.