Monday, March 18, 2013

Mariah's Miracle of Healing

Today's miracle is simple, yet the simplicity of the miracle and the sincerity of my daughter's faith are what touched me deeper than anything I've felt in a long time.

Mariah, my 5 yr. old, had been complaining of a tummy-ache all afternoon, but I did not think it was too serious until she told me she felt really cold as well.  I immediately sent her to bed.  Right at that same time, lots of little children poured in our front door.  Every other week, the youth and children in the area come to our house to sing praises; it's called Sunday Singers.  I felt bad that I couldn't go cuddle Mariah right then; but it was close to impossible since I was responsible for all the rambunctious children in the basement.

After everyone left, Mariah came out of her room.  She had been sleeping and had a high fever.  Even though she wasn't coughing, I massaged vapor rub on her chest and back because she thought it would make her feel better.  I kept an eye on her through the night, and I hoped and prayed it wouldn't turn into anything more serious.  She looked so weak.

This morning, Mariah and Juliana were the first ones I saw.  They came to me holding hands.  Their sisterhood couldn't be any sweeter.  We all hugged each other, and then Mariah got real close to my face smiling like an angel.  I was overjoyed to feel that her fever seemed to be gone!

With our faces still close to each other and in her sweetest, most tender voice, Mariah said, "Mommy, when I went to bed last night I asked Jesus to help me to feel better.  Then I woke up, and I told Jesus thank you for making me feel better!"

We had the most tender hug for the longest time.  Jesus heard Mariah's perfect plea for help.  I could feel that Mariah knew she had just experienced a miracle... a miracle of love and a miracle of healing.



2 comments:

  1. I continue to be impressed with your children's unfaltering faith. This absolutely shows what awesome parents both you and your hubby are. I am so glad that Mariah is doing better, but more so that she knew exactly who to turn to. Firstly, she went to you to let you know. You tended to her needs and prayed for her. She, having been taught in the ways of her fathers, knew that she could ask for additional help for her Savior, and she did just that. Sweet and simply faith. Adorable.

    I had a similar plea yesterday. I am currently juggling a lot of things. I actually wrote a list of things that are currently on my plate that I must take action in (do something about like homework, permission slips, etc), not a list of what I WOULD LIKE to be doing. So, I had to stop writing after item 47 because it was 2 pages and I didn't think I could stomach writing on a 3rd page. It was a lot. On Tuesday, I had made a solemn commitment to dedicate Wednesday entirely to my homework. I was going to shut off all forms of communication and just work. Sigh. It was not meant to be. The next day was going to rain all day. This mean that I was not going to have my boys ride their bikes to and from school, so I would have to pick them up after school. Mid-morning, before my daughter goes over to my aunt’s house, my 8th grade son called and asked me to bring him a sweatshirt to school because he was cold. How can I tell him no? After dropping off my daughter, I drove to the school to give him his sweatshirt. Upon returning home, there were 911 requests from the PTA Financial Secretary and one of our committee chairs. I had to respond. There goes another hour. Then, just as I was settling in to getting my Study Activity ready, one of the committee chairs, who has become a friend, asked if I could spare 15 minutes. I actually said “no”. He then told me he needed a jump for his car. I sighed. He wondered how he would pick up his daughter from school. She is in the 1st grade. I sighed even harder. I said that I would go get his daughter, then give his car a jump, then go pick up my son from high school and then my two other sons, who happened to have a later end time today because of the Math and Science clubs they do after school. I hung up the phone. I wanted to cry. I felt upset. I told myself to stay positive. I ran through the schedule in my mind and new that my time for homework was gone. By the time I got all the kids picked up and home it would be time for my daughter to come home and then I would have no time. So, I bowed my head and said a VERY SPECIFIC prayer. Instead of just “help me”, I prayed that Isabella would take a nap today at her regular time (1:30pm) and that she sleep until at least 5:30pm – just for today. This, I reasoned, would give my husband time to get home from work and then he could assist me with her because I could FEEL that the overwhelm was upon me. Well, all the kids got picked up, including two additional ones that were walking with my high school son, the car was jumped, I kept breathing and at 5:30pm, I got a call that Isabella had just woken up and she had been asleep since 1:30pm. I was so thankful that I can barely describe what a relief that ONE simple answer to a prayer did for me. I am so thankful that our Father in Heaven hears and answers our prayers, especially our pleas.

    Thank you for teaching your children so well and when you share these experiences with others, it reaffirms in your children that you are proud of their growth and faith. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you so very much for taking the time to share with me (and others) your experience!! I felt your exhaustion through your words, and I know the overwhelming feeling that rises from seeing precious time slip away. I felt truly inspired reading your comment, but I first felt anxiety hoping you would get the time you needed! I can't even imagine trying to concentrate long enough to study for a doctorate's degree while children are around and interruptions never stop. The thought that comes into my heart is that Jesus is sooooo proud of you for continuing your education. I feel like He is lifting you in more ways than you may ever know because you're setting forth such a great example for your children... and me. :) What a strong woman you are!!

      Just before I read your post, I said my nighttime prayers, and the thought came into my mind that I need to be more specific in my prayers tonight. I get scared to ask too specifically because I know that sometimes God says no, but I felt the push anyway to ask what I really desired. It's almost 3am Eastern time, and we're leaving for a trip in the morning. I am needing some very specific help from God tonight. :-) Thank you for confirming that prompting! I learned another level of trust in God tonight.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! As you prepare your words, please remember that I am a real person with a real family. Choose your words kindly and lovingly.