Saturday, March 9, 2013

A Visit From Melody

Many of us are suffering the loss of Melody this week.  She peacefully left this Earth with both of her boys beside her bed.  She had a smile on her face.  The viewing was beautiful; I have never, in my life, seen so many people at a viewing before.  The people were lined up through the church, out the door, and down the street.  She and her family are loved that intensely... that dearly.  Her life touched so many others by her years of simple acts of love.

I love her... knowing I had to leave for Michigan immediately after her viewing, I wanted to find some video of us together because my heart needed it.  Melody was my best childhood friend, and we had millions of memories together.  I said a prayer for help because my time was so limited.  I began the search through my mom's old videos.   Most of them were labeled with things like track meet, band concert, etc.  I grabbed the oldest tape thinking that one would most likely have something with the two of us.  Nothing was labeled on there indicating anything about Melody, but I put it in the VHS player anyway just in case.  I was trying to figure out my mom's machine because it was displaying some weird symbols.  Without pushing play, I randomly pushed rewind and fast-forward several times.  I finally hit the play button... 

I couldn't believe my eyes!  After my random button pushing, the VHS tape was cued at the very beginning of the best video clip I could have found!  Melody and I were doing back-hand springs together in her back yard!  We were full of life and vigor!  I had talked of this memory over and over, and I literally leaped for joy as I watched us leaping together.  She felt so present... right there with me.  

My heart felt a rush of gratitude.  I know it was the only spot where we were together because in my complete surprise and disbelief, I scanned the tape to see if there was any other video of Melody.  Those few minutes of us doing back-hand springs were the only few minutes on the entire tape of us together.

I know God allowed Melody to lovingly guide my hand to the exact spot on that 2-hour tape, so that I could watch that special memory.  I felt like Melody was saying, "Here we are!!  Stop here!  This is it!  This is the video you need to remember me by!"  

That was my visit from my angel Melody... my tender miracle.

As I sit here in Michigan, far away from all my friends and family who share this deep love for Melody, I already miss their "knowing" hugs and love... our time was bitter sweet.  I now have a very special image in my mind of me and Melody... full of life!!  Tears stream down my face as I thank God for the gift I received. 

4 comments:

  1. i'm so happy for you!! what a blessing!! I myself am just getting home from a funeral for my uncle. he had been struggling with his health for awhile, but 3 weeks ago was diagnosed with leukemia and just couldnt hold on.
    while i mourn the loss of such an amazing man, listening to his children talk of him and realizing the legacy that he has left, i cant help but be so happy and excited for when i see him again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry for your uncle and his family. Thank you for taking the time to write... to connect... How quickly our lives can change. Thank you for your perspective. You are so right!! The greatest legacy my friend left behind is in her boys. Watching my friend's husband take care of their children in such a caring, strong way gave me great hope. I think I've written this to you before Andrea, but you have a beautiful heart.

      Delete
  2. This was a sweet experience that you shared. So often, we attribute the happenings in our life to "coincidences" when in reality our Father in Heaven is in charge of all things. He knows the beginning from the end and He knows what we need even if we do not. I find that when we mourn the loss of a loved one, we so often focus on the sadness or pain of that loss and we fail to focus on the small moments where it is clear that we are being watched over, such as your example here indicates. Feeling alone or feeling as though the Lord is not watching over you is not the same as if He truly had left you alone. That feeling is a deep, unbearable depair that causes us to recognize our own actions that have taken us far from His spirit. So grieving and mourning are such an important part of the process and are important in helping us to acknowledge the hand of the Lord in our lives. He is there. He is watching. The sun rises each day because He lives. The sound of happy birds chirping is a clue that live goes on. The giggle of a small innocnet child reminds us to return to that state of being like a child - unconditional in our love and ever humble.
    I honestly believe that because you so easily acknowledge the hand of the Lord in your life, that you are blessed with an increased ability to see it even more. You are blessed for your faith, even in something as simple and yet important as finding a visual reminder of your childhood friend. The Lord is aware of what your heart needs.
    Shayla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shayla, the Spirit rushed over me as I read your comment. Thank you for your depth of understanding. Thank you also for pointing out the sound of happy birds chirping... it's one of my favorite, most peaceful things to hear. I will now hear that sound with even happier ears. :)

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! As you prepare your words, please remember that I am a real person with a real family. Choose your words kindly and lovingly.