Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Miracle of Love

I am amazed at the love people give so freely!!  Today was a special day of love...

It all started when I went to the car shop to address an issue that I thought hadn't been done right.  I had received an oil change at this place before my trip last week and paid extra to have all my fluids topped off.  After only a short time driving, the fluid was gone, and I was stuck with a filmy windshield from the snow storm.  I was certain that this auto shop did not really top off my fluids like they said they did.  It was my first time doing business there, so I didn't have a history of trust with them.  

I went in today to approach them about it.  I was shocked when the man was extremely rude.  Even another customer looked at me with raised eyebrows at his behavior.  After carefully investigating the matter, it turned out that it wasn't their fault; it was the fault of the guys that replaced the windshield just an hour before I actually left on my trip.  I apologized for thinking that they had not been honest with me.  

After my apology, this man, who had acted so rudely moments before, immediately asked his workers to fix the problem.  It wasn't even their fault, but they spent about 10 minutes reconnecting the loose hose.  Then, the man brought me back into the lobby and literally spent about 25 minutes apologizing profusely for his behavior.

This man explained to me that when I had come into his shop the previous week, he had been so impressed with "my story" that he spent about 10 minutes talking about us to another customer in the lobby after we left.  I didn't know what "my story" was, but I continued to listen.  He said he couldn't believe my 8 children were so well behaved. (I only have 6, but it must have looked like 8!) He said he was worried about me driving alone with the kids, so he personally checked everything over to make sure it was all good for us.  He proceeded to tell me that he even went home and told his family about us because he thought we were such a special family!! 

As I quietly listened to him explain all of this to me, I smiled realizing that he had Christlike love for me and my family.  He must have been extra offended that I would doubt his integrity on his job after he had done it with such sincerity.  After his long apology and after fixing something he never even broke, he gave me a coupon for a free oil change!!   I told him I didn't need it, but he insisted!  His "rudeness" was a displaced way of showing me I was loved.  I accepted his apology, felt his love, and promised to return. 

*Later that afternoon, I felt loved again! My mother-in-law secretly slipped a King-Size Snickers bar into my hands, so my kids wouldn't see it and demand a piece of it.  I couldn't believe it!  What a thoughtful gesture for her to buy my favorite candy bar for no reason at all... except that she loved me. :-)  I'm embarrassed to say this, and I was embarrassed as it was actually happening... I honestly cried when she handed it to me!  She laughed so hard at my tears over the  Snickers.  Maybe it's an extra emotional day, but I felt so loved that the tears just came out of nowhere!  I thought about waiting a while to eat it, but I devoured every darn morsel of it while I waited for my boys at scouts.  As I went to throw away the wrapper, I noticed that it offered a suggestion on how to save some of it for later... What???  Who does that????  Who saves a Snickers?

*After I got home from scouts with my boys, I received love again tonight when I read a very thoughtful email from a friend.  It included a beautiful quote that uplifted me, educated me, and gave me hope.  She didn't have to take the time to do that; but because she did, I felt loved.

*And then the kicker... It was 11:00 pm, and one of my friends called me out of the blue singing an old song from the 80's, "I just called to say, 'I love you!'"  Can you hear the tune?  I was so surprised by her phone call that I burst into tears. My husband, mother-in-law, and father-in-law were all in the room looking at me strangely.  I'm sure they thought something terrible had happened- especially since I received such a late phone call, and I was crying!!  She explained, "I was going to send you an email, and then I thought, 'Oh what the heck- Why don't I just call her?'"  How brave of her!!  Do I even have to say it?  I felt loved.

People don't call me every day singing to me or give me surprise candy bars, but I believe that every day God is sending someone or something to show us that we are loved by HIM.  Because really, God is love.  I would even go as far as to say that HE is relentless in finding ways to show each and every one of us that love... even if we feel we're undeserving.  It's our job to recognize and find that love.  I believe it's also our job to listen to HIS gentle promptings so that we can deliver HIS love to others... opportunities are everywhere!  My mother sends me daily text messages of love, and my husband and children give me daily verbal and physical affirmations of their love.

Love works miracles in all of our hearts!!!  I want to give more!!