Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Miracle of Love

I am amazed at the love people give so freely!!  Today was a special day of love...

It all started when I went to the car shop to address an issue that I thought hadn't been done right.  I had received an oil change at this place before my trip last week and paid extra to have all my fluids topped off.  After only a short time driving, the fluid was gone, and I was stuck with a filmy windshield from the snow storm.  I was certain that this auto shop did not really top off my fluids like they said they did.  It was my first time doing business there, so I didn't have a history of trust with them.  

I went in today to approach them about it.  I was shocked when the man was extremely rude.  Even another customer looked at me with raised eyebrows at his behavior.  After carefully investigating the matter, it turned out that it wasn't their fault; it was the fault of the guys that replaced the windshield just an hour before I actually left on my trip.  I apologized for thinking that they had not been honest with me.  

After my apology, this man, who had acted so rudely moments before, immediately asked his workers to fix the problem.  It wasn't even their fault, but they spent about 10 minutes reconnecting the loose hose.  Then, the man brought me back into the lobby and literally spent about 25 minutes apologizing profusely for his behavior.

This man explained to me that when I had come into his shop the previous week, he had been so impressed with "my story" that he spent about 10 minutes talking about us to another customer in the lobby after we left.  I didn't know what "my story" was, but I continued to listen.  He said he couldn't believe my 8 children were so well behaved. (I only have 6, but it must have looked like 8!) He said he was worried about me driving alone with the kids, so he personally checked everything over to make sure it was all good for us.  He proceeded to tell me that he even went home and told his family about us because he thought we were such a special family!! 

As I quietly listened to him explain all of this to me, I smiled realizing that he had Christlike love for me and my family.  He must have been extra offended that I would doubt his integrity on his job after he had done it with such sincerity.  After his long apology and after fixing something he never even broke, he gave me a coupon for a free oil change!!   I told him I didn't need it, but he insisted!  His "rudeness" was a displaced way of showing me I was loved.  I accepted his apology, felt his love, and promised to return. 

*Later that afternoon, I felt loved again! My mother-in-law secretly slipped a King-Size Snickers bar into my hands, so my kids wouldn't see it and demand a piece of it.  I couldn't believe it!  What a thoughtful gesture for her to buy my favorite candy bar for no reason at all... except that she loved me. :-)  I'm embarrassed to say this, and I was embarrassed as it was actually happening... I honestly cried when she handed it to me!  She laughed so hard at my tears over the  Snickers.  Maybe it's an extra emotional day, but I felt so loved that the tears just came out of nowhere!  I thought about waiting a while to eat it, but I devoured every darn morsel of it while I waited for my boys at scouts.  As I went to throw away the wrapper, I noticed that it offered a suggestion on how to save some of it for later... What???  Who does that????  Who saves a Snickers?

*After I got home from scouts with my boys, I received love again tonight when I read a very thoughtful email from a friend.  It included a beautiful quote that uplifted me, educated me, and gave me hope.  She didn't have to take the time to do that; but because she did, I felt loved.

*And then the kicker... It was 11:00 pm, and one of my friends called me out of the blue singing an old song from the 80's, "I just called to say, 'I love you!'"  Can you hear the tune?  I was so surprised by her phone call that I burst into tears. My husband, mother-in-law, and father-in-law were all in the room looking at me strangely.  I'm sure they thought something terrible had happened- especially since I received such a late phone call, and I was crying!!  She explained, "I was going to send you an email, and then I thought, 'Oh what the heck- Why don't I just call her?'"  How brave of her!!  Do I even have to say it?  I felt loved.

People don't call me every day singing to me or give me surprise candy bars, but I believe that every day God is sending someone or something to show us that we are loved by HIM.  Because really, God is love.  I would even go as far as to say that HE is relentless in finding ways to show each and every one of us that love... even if we feel we're undeserving.  It's our job to recognize and find that love.  I believe it's also our job to listen to HIS gentle promptings so that we can deliver HIS love to others... opportunities are everywhere!  My mother sends me daily text messages of love, and my husband and children give me daily verbal and physical affirmations of their love.

Love works miracles in all of our hearts!!!  I want to give more!!


9 comments:

  1. I love you Sweetheart! I loved this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my sweet, forever love... thank you for loving me so deeply and selflessly. I love you more than words can express.

      Delete
  2. Great post! So much love for such a loving person. My favorite part was the Snickers! Too funny! But I was completely impressed by the mechanic and he felt impressed by you and your children. You just never know who is watching and who the Lord sends to interact in our lives. I think that I miss some of the moments of love in my life. I think today I tried to extend it so much that I feel a little depleated. Why does THAT happen? No se. Thank you for showing me how to notice all the love that is around - just waiting to be seen :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend who says, "When you love your children, that love isn't divided; it's multiplied" I have never met you, but yet you were one of those people that showed me love yesterday. I certainly believe you could be depleted from giving so much love because not only did you show love to me, but you work tirelessly to show love to your family and all those around you in your part of the country. I know that you know that it doesn't mean you're depleted of love; maybe it means that you haven't taken the time to pause and absorb the love God is trying to give you to replenish your soul! We are busy people! It's hard to stop to feel love!! I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for your comment!!

      Delete
    2. Awww...that is super sweet. I can't belive I made the cut! How awesome that I was one who showed you love and I didn't even realize it. *applause* Your posts always make me smile and help me to feel better. Actually, your post inspired the post I wrote tonight (Love Begets Love). I learned something. If you read it, you'll find out what I learned *haha* Thanks so much for filling me up! Sending love right back! :o)

      Delete
    3. Just read it!! Awesome!!!! I commented more on your blog. :-)

      Delete
  3. This mechanic impressed me. What a forgiving and humble heart he has. I don't what this man's faith is, but it is amazing how other people teach us lessons on humility and forgiveness. Matthew 6:14-15 "For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins."
    It is so easy to love the ones we love, harder still to love our enemies. Luke 6:27-36 "but to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. if someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you. If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. ....but love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful." This car repair man did not withhold his "shirt" but went above and did not demand anything back (payment from you) and instead gave more by giving a coupon. What an example of humility from this man to continue to apologize for 25 minutes for something he didn't do and then to got the extra mile.
    The most excellent example of forgiveness and humility when others do wrong to us is Christ's words on the cross when his enemies but him there. "Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.'"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cristee for your wonderful scriptures. I do love those reminders. I wanted to make a couple of things clear about my post. The mechanic, although very humble, forgiving, and loving, did not apologize for 25 minutes for something he didn't do... he was apologizing for his previously rude behavior. He humbly admitted that his temper was something he has been working on for years. I also want to clarify that I was not his enemy. I did not accuse him of anything- only question. But alas... that is not the point of my post. :-) My point was merely to point out the depth of his ability to love.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for clarifying my misunderstanding of what he was apologizing for. I'm sorry if you were thinking that I thought you were his enemy! I by know means was saying that. :) Yes, I understood the point of the post was about his ability to be humble and change to a more loving attitude. I was just agreeing that this man was a good illustration of someone being humble enough to apologize. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! As you prepare your words, please remember that I am a real person with a real family. Choose your words kindly and lovingly.