Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Jo Jo's Prayer & the "Wall of Death"

I just returned from a gorgeous, 2 night camping trip on Lake Michigan with several other women and our children... and no husbands- the no husband part was sad. :(

We had a special little miracle along the way because of my little JoJo's faith.

Our Miracle

On our drive to the campground, we saw the clouds darkening around us.  Jo Jo said, "Do we really have to drive through that wall of death?"

"I'm afraid so Jordan!" I answered.

As we entered the "wall of death," the rain pounded hard and lightning flashed around us.  My windshield wipers worked overtime to keep us on the road.  I could see a clearing off in the distance, so I was still hopeful for a sunny camping trip.

After only a couple of minutes of the storm, my windshield wiper snapped off and started to flail around the windshield providing absolutely no help from the "wall of death!"  We were driving on a country road.  I knew I needed to stop, but I could hardly even see where to stop. 

Still unable to see much of anything, I pulled into a driveway and sat in my car for a moment.

This windshield wiper had fallen off on a previous trip with Abe when we hit a rainstorm.  He had pulled over at a gas station to put it on and spent about 15 minutes trying to figure it out.  I remember sitting nice and dry in the passenger seat thinking how happy I was that I didn't have to try to figure that out because I do not have a good brain for fixing anything.  

I often work for hours trying to solve a problem only to have Abe come home and solve the issue in moments, so I just don't even waste my time trying anymore!  I was worried because if it took Abe, the problem-solving master, 15 minutes to fix the windshield wiper... how long would it take me???

Well... here I was... stuck in lightning and a serious downpour.  I waited for a moment, mustered up some courage, and attempted the seemingly impossible.  Because I was honestly worried about the lightning, I tried to just hang my body out of the window, so that most of my body could stay inside the van.  That obviously wasn't going to work, so I sucked it up and did it right.  I ventured out into the storm.

In complete shock, I fixed it in about 30 seconds!!  I ran back into the van, and Jordan shouted out, "You did it!!  I said a prayer that you would be able to fix it!"  I shouted back, "Thank you so much!  I said a prayer too!  Your prayer helped!"

We drove on for about 5 more minutes, and the windshield wiper flew off again!  I very slowly found another driveway, got out of the car, and fixed the wiper again.  This time I pushed really hard on the attachment.  The moment I re-entered the car all the children shouted excitedly, "I said a prayer again that you could fix it!!!"  I assured them again that it was their prayers that gave Mommy the ability to fix the windshield wiper.

The windshield wiper stayed intact the rest of the way to the campground.  We felt blessed.  The storm cleared up, and the children and I promptly spent the rest of the evening splashing in the waters of Lake Michigan.  

I'm grateful that God's hand is in the resolution of the little problems that arise in our daily lives.  I'm also grateful for the faith and excitement the children have when experiencing God's miracles.

The following are pictures that I share purely for inspiration for you to come visit!!  Michigan is one of this nation's best hidden secrets!!  

We camped in the woods... 


...walked a short distance along picturesque trails... 

...which opened up to THIS!!

It felt like our own private beach... with a few friends. :-)

The children awoke early in the morning and explored the beach all day long...




 ...until the sun set.



We returned to camp and said a family prayer thanking God for HIS love and for our safety.... God is good.


4 comments:

  1. What beautiful faith you and your children have and what a gorgeous place you got to camp at. I would love to visit Michigan, unfortunately for me we live on the west coast. Fortunately for me we have beautiful places to visit too. I'm grateful for God's creations and the opportunity we all have to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the west coast!! You DO live in a beautiful part of the country. I was in Seattle this spring and LOVED it. I long to see the Redwood Forest- truly some of God's amazing creations! My children have been asking to go to California for years now to explore the seashore life... someday. :-) We have only lived in Michigan for a few years, and I have been surprised at the beauty we've discovered. Thank you so very much for sharing your thoughts and for taking the time to read. Take Care!! :-)

      Delete
  2. Uhhh....BE-U-TIFUL! I had no idea! I would LOVE to go there with my children! We live IN California and rarely get to the ocean (we live in the valley), but gee-whiz, it's only 2 hours away. My son just came home from Santa Cruz and had a fantastic time in the waves. Gave me inspiration to venture out further than my comfort zone. I am always SO IMPRESSED with the adventures you take your sweet children on. Such a wonderful mother you are! And what an awesome testimony builder for the children (and you) to have the windshield wiper fall off...twice! You guys are a great family!
    Un fuerte abrazo! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Te mando un fuerte abrazo a ti tambiƩn!! :-) Thank you for your message!! I've enjoyed reading about your WONDERFUL family. Your valiant goals in your education and your spiritual strength are an inspiration to them, I know.

      Was your son surfing in Santa Cruz? We only get waves here when there's a big storm. The news just reported that a big storm passed through the area where we were camping; and just days after we left, they had 6-8 foot waves!! CRAZY! Thank you again! :-)

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! As you prepare your words, please remember that I am a real person with a real family. Choose your words kindly and lovingly.