Saturday, April 6, 2013

A Body of Strength in Christ

Yesterday I had the opportunity to speak to the students at the Institute of Religion at the University of Michigan.  I spoke on the subject of Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things in Christ which strengtheneth me."

I love that scripture!!  As I prepared, I kept envisioning a body of strength, so I spoke on what and who should be in our heart, mind, and body in order to be truly strengthened.  This image of a body kept returning to my mind, and I thought I might use my oldest child Jackson as my body of strength.  My plan was to tape my topics on his personal body.  I even had my posters made to do it; but it was just a thought, and I never asked Jackson if he would be willing to be my "body."

Before I actually spoke, Abe and I decided that it might be better to send the kids upstairs to a play area, so we wouldn't have to worry about keeping them quiet.  I knew I wouldn't have Jackson's help, but I figured he would enjoy being with the children upstairs.  I thought to myself, "Maybe I didn't need that part of my talk after all."

Just as I was about to start speaking, Jackson came back down the stairs and sat beside me.  He said, "It felt dark and sad upstairs, and I felt like I wanted to come hear you talk instead."  Surprised, I said, "Jackson, I was hoping you would be here because I really wanted you to help me during my talk!"

He did help me, and he did fabulous.  Out of all my children, the one whose help I had wanted, returned.  It was special to me as I realized the Spirit had guided him.  Even more important though was the look on his face when he realized that he had followed the Spirit.  He had the sweetest look of understanding that God really does communicate with us.

Even later that night, on our two hour drive home, out of the blue Jackson said, "Mommy, I'm really glad I was there to help you today."  Once again, his face said it all... he knew that the Holy Ghost had spoken to him, and he had followed.

For a mother to see her child recognize the Holy Ghost's influence is one of the most beautiful things in the world.  My hope is that my children will have enough experiences while in my immediate care; so that when they go off on their own, they will have the knowledge and faith to turn to and listen to the One/Ones who have never failed them...  God, their perfect Father in Heaven... God, their Savior and older brother, Jesus Christ... and God, the Holy Ghost, who constantly whispers guidance and comfort to their hearts.

2 comments:

  1. This sweet adorable story gave me the "chillies" because I felt the sweet Spirit in knowing that awesome connection from mother to son - when they seem to have their hearts in tune. What a sweet young man you have (one of many, I know). My oldest is also a very sensitive one, connected at the heart.
    I loved this story. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I like that... connected at the heart. I'm glad you felt the "chillies"- I love to feel the "chillies!" :-)

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! As you prepare your words, please remember that I am a real person with a real family. Choose your words kindly and lovingly.