Monday, April 8, 2013

Small and Simple Goals

I loved General Conference weekend!   In my last post, I explained a little bit about what General Conference is. :-)

After listening to several hours of inspiration over the last two days, I made several new goals!!  I'm excited to improve.  I felt encouraged when President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, a member of the presidency of our church, advised us to start progressing where we are right now.  He assured us that God would give us light as we take new steps closer to Him.  I also appreciated Elder Jeffrey R. Holland reminding us that imperfect people is all that God has ever had to work with.  He also said that in our quest for faith we should lead with what we do believe!!  That's exciting to me!!!  There is so much I believe in.  When I think about what I don't do well or don't understand, it becomes like a cancer in my soul and spreads negativity.  I love a positive approach.  As Elder  Holland said, "Fan the flame of your faith!!!"

I'm going to start today and continue to BELIEVE in the miracle that I can be an instrument in the Lord's hands no matter how far away I am from perfection.

My goals:

1.  I want to read my scriptures with my husband every night.

2.  We read scriptures as a family in the morning, but I would like to read fun books as a family at nighttime as part of our bedtime routine.

3.  When my husband comes home from work, I would like to only focus on sharing the positive things the children have done throughout the day.

4.  I would like to make family scripture study a more effective tool to better prepare my children to be future missionaries.  I want to help them to develop unshakable testimonies of their Savior, Jesus Christ.

5.  I want to pray harder to know who is needing to hear the gospel of Jesus Christ in their lives.

Elder Andersen assured us that the Lord would bless us with our very own miracles as we try harder to be missionaries.  I love miracles!!

Last Friday, I conversed for a short time with a sister who had been on her mission for only a couple of weeks.  I asked her if her mission was hard (because it was for me in the beginning).  She said that at first it was hard because she was expecting big miracles, and then she felt like she should start looking for the smaller miracles on a daily basis....  She didn't even know about my blog!!  Of course I agreed with her that there is great power in recognizing God's daily miracles.  It is in the small and simple things that great miracles come to pass.

I am putting my small and simple goals in writing so that I feel more accountable to them.  I will strive to achieve these goals with faith and hope that great miracles will come to pass in the lives of my family and those around us.

2 comments:

  1. Okay...totally impressed by your "small and simple goals" list. My list would be like, 1) Get up to the alarm the first time. End of list. Once I accomplish that, I'll add another item :o)

    And Elder Holland...killed it! LOVE LOVE LOVE his talks!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be impressed!! I'm a serious work in progress. :-) By the way... getting up to the 1st alarm isn't even on my list yet! I even told my husband at the beginning of the school year that I will do EVERYTHING in the house... teaching, cleaning, etc. I only needed him to drag me out of bed no matter how much I protest. He still hasn't been successful.

      About Elder Holland... you're soooo right!! I want EVERYONE in the world to hear him speak. I've met him a couple of times, and each time he has made me feel like the most important person in the world.

      Thank you so much for your comments. I always love to hear from you.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! As you prepare your words, please remember that I am a real person with a real family. Choose your words kindly and lovingly.