Monday, February 25, 2013

Miracle of Music

Last night was amazing... about 40 youth and their younger siblings came to our house to sing praises to God.  Sometimes we have up to 75 kids!  It's called Sunday Singers, and we invite them to our home about twice a month.  The youth, ages 12-18, sing with my husband upstairs while their younger siblings, ages 11 and under, sing with me in the basement.



I couldn't believe how happy my home felt hearing the music literally pour through our home.  I left the children for just a moment to check on the cookies coming out of the oven.  Upstairs, the youth- with powerful, unified voices- were singing the words:  "We are children, holding hands around the world!"  Downstairs, the giggly children were standing on their chairs and belting out:  "He's got you and me brother, in His hands.  He's got the whole world in his hands."  I burst into their room motioning my hands for them to sing even louder, and they did!  It was beautiful and fun, and it was a miraculous sound.

After they sang for about an hour, they all came into my kitchen and literally devoured the treats and socialized.  It's a time of unity- a time of strengthening their souls in Christ before they have to face the world again when they return to school the following week.

A scripture in the Doctrine and Covenants 25:12 says, "For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads."

The youth have so much negativity to face.  As they sacrifice their Sunday evenings to sing praises to HIM, I know God hears their prayers lifting up to HIM, and HE is blessing them.  The power of uplifting music has the ability to create mighty miracles.  These youth give devotionals that have touched hundred's of hearts.

My husband sings professionally in a Christian music group called Jericho Road, and we have heard many stories first-hand of the miracles in people's lives because God has spoken to their hearts through his music.  I know God works through music.

When Jackson was only 4 years old, we witnessed a tender miracle of music through his ears.  As a baby, he endured severe trauma and pain from major open-heart surgery, so he was just learning to verbally communicate with us.  On Christmas morning, several years ago, I'm grateful he was able to fully express what he was experiencing.

In our early morning scripture study, I had been teaching my children how beautiful it will be when Christ comes again.  I told them that the angels will sing from Heaven, and it will be a glorious time.

On Christmas morning, after getting the presents ready for the children to be surprised, we woke them up to come see the presents.  Jackson literally jumped over the presents without even looking at them and pointed out the window.  He shouted, "Do you hear them?  Do you hear them?"  Confused and not hearing a thing, I said, "What honey?  Hear what?  What are you talking about?"

Continuing to point to the window with an urgency, he exclaimed, "The angels!!!  The angels are singing!  I can hear them."

Maybe, Jackson got confused with my teaching between Christmas and the 2nd Coming of Jesus; either way, I believe that because of his great, undoubting faith, he was able to hear a special gift from God.

Little Jackson heard the angels sing; I have no doubt.  I also have no doubt that there are beautiful, heavenly voices speaking words of encouragement every day- if only we could erase our doubt, think as a child, and hear them.

8 comments:

  1. I continue to be inspired! What a wonderful way to have the Spirit in your home, than through the voice of children singing! Awesome!
    I keep the Jericho Road CD in the car, playing at all times during my commutes to seminary, school, the store, etc. My eldest, who is in high school, has a phone. He one day asked if we could download some music on it. I looked at him, in that motherly way and said, "Mijo, your phone is for you to contact us in amergencies - not for entertainment." He said, "I know mom, but I wanted to download the Jericho Road CD onto my phone so I can listen to it all the time and when I am walking home from school." What an outstanding young man! I had pre-judged him, thinking that his mind was on secular things, but he found something that touched his Spirit and he wanted to take action to be filled up with it constantly. I was humbled and impressed. I uploaded the CD for him.
    He wanted me to make sure to tell you (to tell your husband) that he "loves his music" and "it has changed him" and that when he is a professional basketball player, he will still be listening to Jericho Road. *haha* (This is my son who I wrote about in my most recent blog "One Foot in Front of the Other". He is amazing.
    I am now going to see how I can uplift my home with more music inspired by the Spirit because this world needs to hear more songs from the hearts of children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment!! I'm glad you've heard their music and like it! I read your comment to my husband, and we think your son is awesome. Abe says he'll come watch him play in the NBA some day! What a serious champ!! Hmmm... he's 14.... I guess my daughters are too young...:-)

      Delete
  2. Nothing beats singing worship and praise to God. I love that so many of the Psalms are written by David and had musical accompaniment. Wouldn't it be great to know the tune? I love that Psalm means "hymn" or "chant". I have no musical talent and have a terrible singing voice. I use to teach special education and the best way to get the children to learn was through song. Thankfully, the children didn't seem to mind my lack of vocal ability.
    I love Psalm 95:1-2 "O come, let us sing unto the Lord: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation. Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms." and Psalm 150:3-6 "Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp. Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs. Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals. Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord." This praise song is a great one that I like singing at church,
    "I will enter his gates with
    thanksgiving in my heart
    I will enter his courts with praise
    I will say this is the day that the
    Lord has made
    I will rejoice for he has made me glad
    He has made me glad
    He has made me glad
    I will rejoice for he has
    made me glad"
    I love that God wants us to "rock out" for Him and to Him! Even those of us with horrible voices. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all the joyful verses Cristee. It's a beautiful addition to my blog. I agree; horrible voices don't matter to God. It feels better when everyone in a congregation is singing with their whole soul instead of worrying about how they might sound to others. As a little girl, I used to get embarrassed when my dad would boisterously sing the hymns in church; now that I live so far away from him, I wish I had his voice echoing through the chapel where I am now. Keep singing!

      Delete
  3. THAT was an amazing story! Love little children! What I wouldn't give to have my children sing in your home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo Jo! Oh I LOVE little children too. You are so sweet. I checked out your "Boys in the Good" blog. You have 6 boys and 1 girl? Wow!! I don't know where you live, but bring them all over!! :-) ...except for the one on his mission... :-) Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog and for sharing.

      Delete
  4. I have to tell you, Rachel, that I've loved your Sunday Singers idea ever since I heard about it last fall from the Stouts, when we found out we had friends in common. But after reading this post last week, I've been thinking about it every day, and during out Regional Conference this morning, it was confirmed to me that this is something we need to do. We talked about it all the way home from conference. We're going to call our version "Sunday Singing," and it will extend a little older to our college-age daughter's friends as well. Our kids are going to invite a bunch of their school friends, since all their friends are singers anyway. We'll be starting in April, after musical and show choir season are over. We're so excited! Thanks for inspiring us! Now if we only had someone in our family with Abe's talent . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Thank you so much for your comment!! I'm excited to hear how "Sunday Singing" goes. Good for you to feel a desire to do something and then move forward! We had college-age kids come as well at times, and they brought a great spirit with them. I hope lots of their school friends come too!! You're funny; Abe does have a lot of talent, but we were surprised how much talent the youth brought as they joined together. We added several instrumentals to our last fireside as well. Sending much, much love your way!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! As you prepare your words, please remember that I am a real person with a real family. Choose your words kindly and lovingly.