Saturday, February 23, 2013

Miracles Are Daily

Tonight, someone challenged my belief that God works daily miracles.  Feeling discouraged from that and other challenges in my life as well, I cried to my husband that I just wanted to shrink in a corner.  It hurt him to hear me speak this way because his love for me is so great.  As I spoke, my husband's voice slowly rose above mine quoting Marianne Williamson:

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” 

Every time I read this quote, I feel courage to stand taller and reach higher.  I see more greatness in myself and in others.  I lose the tendency to compare myself.  Instead I gain a greater desire for the success of those around me.

After Abe quoted the words to me, I researched the quote some more.  I discovered something new about it.  I always knew that Marianne Williamson was the author of it and that Nelson Mandela shared it in his inauguration speech, but I had no idea when or where Marianne Williamson had written or spoken it.  

Tonight I learned that the quote came from a book entitled, Return to Love:  Reflections on the Principles of "A Course in Miracles."  

I have never read this book, but this is one of the reviews:

"The basic premise is that the ego has caused us to live in a world of illusions, caused by fear-based thinking. By focusing on God's will instead, the illusions disappear leaving only the perfection of love behind. In order for us to be able to see the world in this way, we need to pray ...for miracles – these miracles are changes in the way that we perceive things and will enable us to see the core of perfect love inside every being. It will also enable us to enter situations from the basis of love, rather than fear..."

Tonight it was a miracle for my soul that my husband spontaneously drowned out my discouragement with words from my favorite quote which came from a book that teaches about miracles.   

I speak with so many amazing people that defy opposition and discouragement in order to live their beliefs... in order to stand tall for their Savior.  I believe Christ has special blessings for those who seek HIM and then choose to follow HIM against all odds!!  I know that as we stand tall in our faith in our Savior, Jesus Christ, HE will ALWAYS support us in our testimonies of HIM!  HE will never leave us alone in those testimonies... not ever.




8 comments:

  1. This is an outstanding quote! I actually printed this and gave it to my two older boys to read once each night the year they each turned 12 and received the priesthood. Given all that these young men have to face in their life, I knew that the only way to help combat the outside influences are to build up the internal influences. At first they didn't understand the quote. Then we began discussing it. Then they chose the part that they liked and remembered best. This was a great chance to see deeper into my sons and realize some of their own weaknesses and how it affects them. Stand tall, you are doing great! You are on the Lord's errand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful idea... to open the discussion with your children to see what stands out in their minds. Our children are born with such amazing gifts, and it's a beautiful process to discover them and then try to build upon what God has given them. I really love your style! Your comments have made me laugh, cry, and ponder. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. I really like this quote as well and will be printing it for my boys and sharing when they are old enough to understand. I am new to your blog (just this week) and honestly look forward to reading your uplifting messages each night. I do believe in daily miracles...even miracles of diaper cream because I KNOW how horrible it is to have a baby who is so miserable with a diaper rash. You have inspired me to start paying more attention to and writing down my own daily miracles, of which there are many, and I thank you for that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sunshinegirl! :-) Thank you for coming to my blog. Thank you for sharing your testimony. I'm especially grateful that you are writing down YOUR miracles. :-) After reading your comment, I told my husband that that is exactly my hope: for others to feel inspired to see the great miracles God is performing in their own lives. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing this quote! I have heard this as well, but never knew who it was from. I googled her and found out some scary things about her. She has said things like, "God is no longer a crutch I need." I thought I would warn you, she sounds like a New Age guru type person and is actually Jewish in her heritage and so doesn't believe Christ is our Savior, although I have to say her quote is nice and uplifting. I made me think of Matthew 7:15 "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves." and Matthew 24:4 "And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you." I'm happy that your husband helped you in your discouragement, there is nothing better than to have a husband who helps us in our time of need. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cristee, thank you for continuing to read! It's good to hear from you. Thank you for your comment. Yes, my husband loves me deeply and is forever supportive.

      About Marianne Williamson, I do not believe Christians are the only ones who are blessed to receive knowledge and wisdom from God.

      I believe Jesus loves Marianne Williamson dearly whether she knows HIM for who HE truly is or not. I read an article that Marianne Williamson wrote about her thoughts on Jesus, and I felt like this was a clear statement from her about where she stands: "But I do feel I was born a Jew, I am a Jew, and I was meant to meet Jesus on my journey. It is, above all others, my most predestined relationship. I feel blessed to have met him as a Jew."
      I believe God is so patient and accepting of us in our full journey to HIM. Wow! I am certainly grateful he's patient with me because it is definitely a journey!! :-)

      My only responsibility as a disciple of Christ, as a Christian, as one who has accepted Christ as my Savior, is to share the love and testimony of HIM that is in my heart-not to condemn others.

      As I was reading my scriptures this morning, I happened to read this verse in Matthew 10:27, "What I tell you in darkness, that speak ye in light: and what ye hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops." This is my passion; to share my love of God. I don't personally know you Cristee, but I do feel that you have a passion for Christ as do I.


      Delete
    2. Yes, for sure God speaks to all of us and wants us to meet Jesus in a very personal way through His saving grace provided through His death and resurrection. It sounds as though Marianne is acquainted with who Jesus is and my hope is she has a saving faith in Him, only He can judge that and it is not for me to do. God's job: Proverbs 21:1-3 "The king's heart is a stream of water in the hand of the Lord; he turns it wherever he will. Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, but the Lord weighs the heart." My job: Luke 6:37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven." Thank you for sharing the Matthew 10:27 verse where Christ is speaking to His disciples. What he told them in darkness (privately), they (and as well us) should preach only what they learned from God's Spirit. Jesus' followers should preach boldly, fearing no shame from their peers in this world. Hallelujah! Because the flat housetops at that time period were above the streets, they provided easier hearing than the streets themselves, "shouting from the housetops" shows the boldness the disciples needed to make God's message known. The whole chapter is so loving in that Christ is preparing his disciples to expect persecution and how they should handle themselves when they are persecuted. I love where He goes on to say to them in 10:40-41 "He who receives you receives me, and he who receives me receives the one who sent me. Anyone who receives a prophet because he is a prophet will receive a prophet's reward, and any one who receives a righteous man because he is a righteous man will receive a righteous man's reward." I LOVE God's word to us!
      Yes, I do have a passion for Christ and gladly shout it from the rooftops! Ya-hoo! As I was driving my son to school today we were listening to a hymn CD and "Blessed Assurance" was one of the hymns. I love the words. "Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine! O what a foretaste of glory divine! Heir of salvation, purchase of God, born of His Spirit, washed in His blood. This is my story, this is my song, praising my Savior all the day long." I'm so glad I will be with Him in glory and have that blessed assurance. What a great way to start the day!

      Delete
    3. Thank you for sharing your passion! I especially liked the hallelujahs and the yahoos. :-) I felt them all the way here in Michigan. I also liked hearing of the gift you're giving your son to start the day off with a hymn in the car.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! As you prepare your words, please remember that I am a real person with a real family. Choose your words kindly and lovingly.