Saturday, February 23, 2013

Miracles Are Daily

Tonight, someone challenged my belief that God works daily miracles.  Feeling discouraged from that and other challenges in my life as well, I cried to my husband that I just wanted to shrink in a corner.  It hurt him to hear me speak this way because his love for me is so great.  As I spoke, my husband's voice slowly rose above mine quoting Marianne Williamson:

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” 

Every time I read this quote, I feel courage to stand taller and reach higher.  I see more greatness in myself and in others.  I lose the tendency to compare myself.  Instead I gain a greater desire for the success of those around me.

After Abe quoted the words to me, I researched the quote some more.  I discovered something new about it.  I always knew that Marianne Williamson was the author of it and that Nelson Mandela shared it in his inauguration speech, but I had no idea when or where Marianne Williamson had written or spoken it.  

Tonight I learned that the quote came from a book entitled, Return to Love:  Reflections on the Principles of "A Course in Miracles."  

I have never read this book, but this is one of the reviews:

"The basic premise is that the ego has caused us to live in a world of illusions, caused by fear-based thinking. By focusing on God's will instead, the illusions disappear leaving only the perfection of love behind. In order for us to be able to see the world in this way, we need to pray ...for miracles – these miracles are changes in the way that we perceive things and will enable us to see the core of perfect love inside every being. It will also enable us to enter situations from the basis of love, rather than fear..."

Tonight it was a miracle for my soul that my husband spontaneously drowned out my discouragement with words from my favorite quote which came from a book that teaches about miracles.   

I speak with so many amazing people that defy opposition and discouragement in order to live their beliefs... in order to stand tall for their Savior.  I believe Christ has special blessings for those who seek HIM and then choose to follow HIM against all odds!!  I know that as we stand tall in our faith in our Savior, Jesus Christ, HE will ALWAYS support us in our testimonies of HIM!  HE will never leave us alone in those testimonies... not ever.