Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Holy Ghost Spoke... and My Child Listened

Today Tyson was having a hard time doing his math.  He had been working on it for a couple of hours and feeling very stressed.  He asked if he could play my husband's Jericho Road version of , "Abide With Me" on iTunes while he studied.  Silly me I almost said no!  I quickly realized that his request was a wonderful, spiritual one.  After turning it on, he literally finished his math within 5 minutes!  The soothing music relaxed his mind enough for him to be able to think more clearly.

My son's request was a blessing to me as well.  A few seconds after he played this soothing hymn, I received a text from a friend saying that I should come visit our sick friend as soon as possible.  I was deeply worried about my friend, and my mind was racing trying to think about the logistics of taking an impromptu 11- hour drive.

Before I could fully stress or grieve over the situation, my heart was immediately calmed and comforted upon hearing the hymn that so beautiful speaks of our compassionate Savior.

This was the very first time that Tyson had ever asked to play a hymn while he studied; I know the Holy Ghost prompted him to play it right at that very moment.  I'm grateful for this miracle today- that my son chose to listen to the promptings he had received so that he could finish his math and so that I would know that God was very aware of my sick friend and of my grieving heart.

Here are the words to the hymn that continue to touch my heart:
Abide with me; fast falls the eventide;
The darkness deepens. Lord, with me abide!
When other helpers fail and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, oh, abide with me! 
Swift to its close ebbs out life's little day.
Earth's joys grow dim; its glories pass away.
Change and decay in all around I see;
O thou who changest not, abide with me! 
Abide with me; 'tis eventide,
And lone will be the night
If I can not commune with thee,
Nor find in thee my light.
The darkness of the world, I fear
Would in my home abide.
O Savior, stay this night with me;
Behold, 'tis eventide. 
O Savior, stay this night with me;  
Behold, 'tis eventide.
 

4 comments:

  1. This is my husband's favorite hymn. It is simply beautiful. It touches my heart each and every time. Isn't it amazing how the faith of a child sometimes is the greatest lesson for the day? My 10 year-old son sometimes exhibits a similar type of genuine faith that humbles me. He doesn't allow the worldly philosophies or the clamor for things to "make sense" get in the way of him doing what he "feels" he should do (ex: Mom, why don't you just pull over right now and say a prayer?) No wonder our Savior spent so much time with them. They are simply, teachable. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your insight on a child's simplicity. I agree; their simplicity clarifies their perspective. I'm sure your 10 yr. old is already a great strength to his peers and will continue to be. I wish my boys had him as their buddy. :-)

      Delete
  2. Good thing you did not reject his request. Sometimes playing a soothing tune can help relax the mind and clear your head. Playing the right kind of music can help cut down distractions and focus one's mind on the task at hand.

    Yvonne@HomeTutorsSacramento.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment! I believe you're right. I'll set the mood more often in my homeschooling! :-) This was also a moment that I needed to hear those specific words in the hymn. There are many GREAT benefits to the right kind of music.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! As you prepare your words, please remember that I am a real person with a real family. Choose your words kindly and lovingly.