Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Valentine's Miracle


As much as I adore my children, I love it when they're all finally asleep.  A few nights ago, I kept hearing whispers, so I went into the big boys' room to find 4 of the children in a huddle discussing something with a flashlight.  I quickly dispersed their little band and sent them to bed. 

The next day, my four oldest children confessed their "crimes" of the previous night.  Apparently, they had been trying for several hours to sneak past me to the basement to put up the Valentines decorations.  They wanted to surprise me in the morning with a house full of hearts.  They had been devising a plan all evening on exactly how they would do the secret deed.

I was oblivious to their plans, but I had noticed they wore some strange black clothes underneath their pajamas.  I just assumed it was extra cold to them, so they were layering up; I had no idea it was their spy gear

I realized I had seen their actions so differently.  I thought they were being naughty and just not going to bed.  What a difference in perspective! 

Again tonight, my eyes were opened to a different perspective.  I was trying extra hard to get all the laundry done in the house.  That is a HUGE feat with 6 children.  All the children were having trouble staying motivated, but I kept having to ask Tyson to leave the computer and finish the laundry.  Several times, he would do a chore and then ask, "Now can I go to the computer?"  Finally... the chores were done, and I could let him go.  

One might think that he was begging to go to the computer to play.  Nope!  He wanted to write what was in his heart.  I had scolded him for not staying on task, yet he never let my words distract him from the love he was feeling in his heart.  My perspective changed and my heart melted when I read the words he wrote tonight.


LOVE

Love is a really important thing to me.
You should also love those who are
mean to you. It is also important to
not just to walk up to people and tell
them you love them or just say hi. But
really get to know them.

In “Mathew 5-44” it says, “ But I say
unto you, love your enemies, bless
them that curse you, do good to them
that hate you, and pray for them which
despite fully use you, and persecute
you.”
I know Jesus loves us. I am great full
for the gospel.Love.

~Tyson

In honor of Valentine's Day approaching, I feel like I need to remember the miracle of a child's innocent love.  What a miracle that children can love so easily.  What a miracle that children can forgive so easily. What a miracle that children can see who we are despite our many faults.

I want to be more like a child. It will surely require a change in perspective.

8 comments:

  1. I just read your post on TOFW. Wow! That was really just amazing. I am so impressed and inspired by both you AND your son. What a sweet blessing to be testifying to a member of the family your husband got to serve. Some might say it's a coincidence...we know better. ;0)

    Thank you for sharing that with the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading, and thank you for your comment. God definitely has HIS hand in our lives way more than we realize:)

      Delete
  2. I just read your post on TOFW too and so appreciate you sharing your testimony with all of us! I have been writing these "tender mercies and miracles" in a journal. Thank you for sharing yours. You inspire me to as well:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Brenda for your comment! That's my hope! Keep writing!!:):)

      Delete
  3. Rachel,

    I just saw your post on TOFW and Laurel's blog. I don't know if you will remember me, but I met you when Jericho Road was filming their music video's. We were able to talk a few times.

    I loved seeing the pictures of your beautiful family. I couldn't believe you had 6 kids, but I guess it really has been that long because I have a family of my own now.

    You are so beautiful inside and out.

    Erin
    www.someoneinmind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you!! Your children are gorgeous!! I had fun reading a few things on your blog. Yes, we only had one child at the time of the music videos.

      Funny story... After the Jericho Road DVD was finished, Abe saw a shot of me in the DVD. I was holding our baby. I guess Abe didn't notice that I was holding him because he said in the sweetest voice, "Oh look they got a shot of you while you were still pregnant." You know he was in trouble!! I told him to rewind and look at his 5 month old baby ON MY LAP!:) LOL!! He's still repenting for that one. I just might forgive him soon.:)

      Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  4. What a sweet story! You are blessed with such wonderful children! That Tyson is a great example! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky, thank you so much for reading and for your kind comment. I will make sure I pass on your message to my children; they love the positive affirmation... just like all of us:) God bless you.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! As you prepare your words, please remember that I am a real person with a real family. Choose your words kindly and lovingly.